Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

I have recently visited Kumbartcho Nursery located at 15 Bunya Pine court, Eatons Hill. This native nursery has plenty of bush food seedlings distributed throughout a large range of local native plants.

WebLink Here - Kumbartcho

The Nursery is a part of a larger sanctuary, conservation park, environmental centre. One of our BLF members, Lainie can sometimes be found working in the Education Centre. Caitlin and myself were lucky to have Lainie show us around the park.

The long and shorter walks have old established native trees including large Hoop and Bunya pines, plum pines and other plants (including bush tucker ones).

There is a on-growing edible native garden with lots of midgen berries, scrabbling lilies, some young davidson's plums and more.

There is a large native frog breeding house (can you spot the edible native plants in photo).

Turtles who will swim over to you.

And a fun bridge.

There's a kids playground and barbecue area as well.

Now with all the distractions that the place had to offer, I ran out of time at the nursery, so I'll re-visit and get some photos of that as well, and maybe an edible native plant or 2.

... I forgot to mention the friendly Bush Turkeys.

Views: 558

Replies to This Discussion

It's a lot more interesting than I remember! I did make a bee line in and out of the nursery so perhaps missed all these good things like the frog breeding house. Great report Rob!

Why not organise a day for a visit when others might like to join you? We could take a picnic lunch.

There are currently tadpoles rapidly turning into frogs in Frogs Hollow, Lissa, if you'd like to visit and see some more of the sanctuary besides the Nursery!

Meet you there on a Tuesday?! ;) (Always, between 9am and 2.30pm at least...)

Lovely as that sounds I work Tuesdays and Thursdays. Vol but still work. I'm also quite a way off these days Lainie, at Bribie. 

When I (one day) have a garden again it will be worth a visit. 

Kumbartcho Nursery is where I purchased a native yam many years ago. Thanks again Lainie for showing us this awesome place!

Lissa I'd encourage you to buy a yam if there are any in stock. Don't be put off the plant being labeled as a bush tucker plant .... just grow it like any veggie under a good shade tree (Winter sun's OK). The vine works out the sunlight balance itself when starting at the base.

Stocklist is available on the Kumbartcho website, Rob/Lissa, if you want to check it out... ;)

Ta!

I found out about this place last year when I was looking for different walking tracks but never made it to the Nursery.  Did the full walk but was a bit disappointed - not long enough - but was impressed in what they were doing.  Lots of growth since I was there so must make a return visit and have a look at the nursery.

Hi Cheryl,

Most of the walking tracks are fairly short, yes; this and the fact that they're mostly flat/paved, not steep, without too many stairs, is what makes them particularly suitable for the kids and elderly visitors we often have. However, we do have an 8km round-trip walk available, that goes along the river between Kumbartcho Sanctuary and another council facility (conference centre called 'Yuraba'), if you'd like to try that one. (It is not at all flat or overly easy; many people have discovered their fitness levels weren't as great as they thought... myself included!) And of course, you must come back and visit the Nursery too next time!

Thanks Lainie.  Have been back to the nursery a few times but didn't know about the walking track to Yuraba, must check it out.

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service