Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

The Paten Park Native Nursery has a handy search tool if you're looking for Bush Tucker Plants and Edible Fruit Plants.

These options are under special features on the website's Plant Search tool.

The Special Features drop down box, supplies general location searching, such as Seaside Plantings, Enoggera catchment area, Ipswich area .... and many more.

Only one special feature can be searched at a time, however any special features are listed at the base of each plant description.

If you wish to plant into your local unmodified soil type, you can use special features to search on a few soil type options.

You can also use the Type drop down box to narrow down plant type (trees, vines, etc)

The Name drop down box allows a direct search for a specific plant.

This Nursery is not specifically a native foods plant nursery, however I find this Not for profit Community Nursery to be very accommodating for the subject of Bush Tucker/Bush Foods plants.

The Nursery's address is, 57 Paten Rd. The Gap.

Views: 575

Replies to This Discussion

Can you add the address for the actual nursery Rob please?

I went there yesterday with Rob and was impressed with the range of native plants and prices. Nice bush setting too. The small tube plants are only $2.50 each including bush tucker plants. Picked up a Riberry seedling which I'm keen to see how it will grow in a large pot.

A good local site to search, thanks for finding and sharing.  I have been flickering through different pages of my Queensland native books to learn more.

It's great Christa, it's terrific that it's had that nice knock on effect on your enthusiastic mind too. I've been looking for this plant database & tool for a while (the Nursery had it a while back), but I was looking in the wrong place, had to share as soon as I found it!

I think it was the same database as when it was under greening Australia, I was looking for it a while back but couldn't find it after they closed down ~  Thanks for sharing Rob ~

This is great - the discussions have really triggered some strong interest :)

We visited the Patens Road Nursery yesterday, and was amazed with the plants they had.  They had a couple that I have put on my list and fell victim to more.  The book by Glenn Leiper (Mangrove to Mountains) was much more reasonable in price than elsewhere.  I purchased 2 scrambling lily plants and 2 Midyim berry (4 tubes under $10). They had a good size scrambling lily growing at the entrance, and Paul, the man who helped us let us sample the new shoots and they tasted just like asparagus with a beany taste. The botanical name is Geitonoplesium cymosum. It seemed to climb on itself and was about 2m wide and 1.5 m high and a good looking green plant. Most plants are in forestry tubes and we had restricted time there, but found it a good place for native plants and economical for those who are willing to start with small plants.

This stuff gets me chatting! I've been meaning to post some pics I took at the nursery in a discussion, and hearing another talk about that scrambling lily gets me keen. I thought at tasted asparagus like too, with a hint of bean. Heres a photo of the plant, it's quite pretty. The seedlings are very nice looking too.

There's two very similar plants, not necessarily botanically related, the one you've shown and another with the common name of Wombat Berry. There is a way to tell them apart, I haven't worked out what that is yet. Even though I've grown both and currently have one growing as I type. Not ever tried the new shoots, though!

I believe the other variety has green turning to orange berries.  The scrambling lily in photo at Patens will have green turning to black berries.  The botanical name of orange berry plant  is Eustrephus latifolius (Wombat berry), looks like another good option.  The outside orange part of the berry is the only part of the berry that should be eaten, but further investigation may be warranted. Let us know how the new shoots taste Elaine.

Just established that my Wombat Berry is the Eustrephus one since the berries are orange. The plant is tucked away climbing up a clothes-line pole and under shadecloth. It's not looking its best right now being so dry, we rarely water the 'shadehouse'. I'm none the wiser about the taste of the berries either since mine is not all that ripe and the plant looks too poor to start pruning off shoots. If we can keep it nice and damp over winter and perhaps add a handful of Organic Xtra, it might make a growth spurt in spring and we'll know more about the flavour.

Looks interesting especially if you are a wombat, apparently the WB has a tuberous root that is also edible, as well as the seeds. There is some good info on Toowoomba site regard cutting back in winter, see  THIS 

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service