Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

I'm attaching a simple set of photos with measurements for anyone who wants to build their own hives.   This is just how I build a standard OATH hive.  

I HAVE LEARNED AT MY PERIL - NEVER, EVER BUILD IN PINE - NEITHER TREATED OR UNTREATED. THEY ROT AND WILL DOOM YOUR BEES.  HARDWOOD/CRYPRUS ONLY.  

Views: 236

Replies to This Discussion

Looks really good. Rhys is looking forward to building his next set

Okay - I changed the plan.  I used to put a bottom on the honey super.  It worked for me because I didn't harvest the honey.  I have now moved it to the middle box.  The middle box has both a bottom and a top now. Updated the text in the pic to reflect that. 

Think of this as my Christmas present.  I found Bunnings at Warner stocked hardwood that is the perfect size for hive making (90 x 35).  At $13 a square metre is looks pretty good.  I bought 3 metres worth. Larger Bunnings stores should have it.  

Andy, Standard Oath measurements are 200mm X 280mm external measurement with the thickness around 30-45mm depending on what is available.   That's a good way to purchase the hardwood, they don't carry it at all times.  Good luck with your Hive making.

Christa - the front and back are 200.  The sides are also 280 made up of 210 + 35 front thick and 35 back thick.  Thickness is 35.  This is a standard Oath.. mate... oath mate. Fair dinkum and all.  

Oh, if my little circular saw won't cut the hardwood, I might need to give Ian and you a desperate phone call. 

You're right, as long as outside dimensions are 200 X 280.  Some people do different corners and have slightly larger bases.  We are going to stick to log hives if possible.  

The only bee hive I ever bought was from a professional - and it was the wrong bloody size!!!  Couldn't bee-leave it. 

Only the paint to go.  I have enough wood to make 3 more complete hives.  All my hives will move to this format.  Note the overhang on the floor and roof.  

Hope this one works for you Andrew, certainly will look good painted. Will you tape the joins?. Good luck for the next Bee Year.

Will tape the joins for sure Christa.  Siliconed everything that doesn't need to be seperated and will tape all the rest.  

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2021   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service