Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

I went along to the Bee Expo at Imbil, met and chatted to a lot of great people. Awesome day. There were talks about pollination, Small Hive Beetle and Solitary Bees. Here’s a few photos… I checked out some different box makers, some very nice quality too.

>>>All the photos are here: Bee Expo Photos Album

How awesome is this hive!! Attention to detail was incredible. I didn’t see a price… there’d be a lot of hours in this…priceless?

There was a log transfer demonstration, …  in to a box

A great presentation about Solitary Bees by Tobias from Bee Aware

This log hive was donated for the raffle…

Ann from Hive Haven talked to me for a while about the progress of the 3D printed hive they are working on. They’ve invested a lot of time and money in this idea and will have a small quantity available soon for sale. They are planning to do some crowd funding to get the idea off the ground.

I chatted to Doug about his hives, he puts in a lot of time on these finger jointed hives…very nice. He ran away when I wanted to take a photo.

Chris Fuller from Kin Kin Bees did a talk about Macadamia pollination, and has some cool looking hives and some tricky little Solitary blocks…

Wood burning designs on to hives from the Wood Workers Club… wow that’d take a while!!

a very cool log hive…

Some cool displays were scattered around the hall

>>>All the photos are here: Bee Expo Photos Album

Views: 77

Replies to This Discussion

it was an awesome day - didnt think to take photos so thanks ....decided native bees are a lot less trouble than European bees and have sourced a couple of hives too !!!! great ideas and information. Have decided also to start a new batch of honey - a spiced mead recipe that we heard in one of the talks! 

Much as I love our native stingless bees, if you are big honey users, the exotic honeybees are the way to go. Every 'up' has its 'down' though :-\

Who is the Steve behind the website? Is he our Stevo or another one? Fabulous-looking hives.

Hi Elaine! yeap it's meee! :-)

Quality! Well done mate!

Looks great. 

Very diverse range of hives Steve - thank you for sharing your photos!

RSS

Fresh Local Provisions: Fresh Food, Local and Online

About this site

Welcome to Brisbane Local Food (BLF)!

This site was created by Scarlett Patrick, to build capacity in the Brisbane  community for growing, buying, and living sustainably. Six years on, BLF is an important hub to promote, discuss, share and learn about local food growing, production, gardens, services and activities happening in our part of the world.

This site exists for you - make the most if it!

BLF is motivated by passion, not profit. We thank all volunteers and members who make this an active and inspiring space to be, as well as those individuals, organisations and groups working to make the future greener.

What is local?
The closer the better - but regional and global activities are important too.

Why local?
To reduce food miles, increase food freshness & security, improve social outcomes and reduce the unused outputs of our living environments - like stormwater and green waste.

Brisbane is a sub-tropical city in Queensland, Australia.

Organic Farm Share

Ads by Google

More Google ads

© 2017   Created by Farina Murray.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service