Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Hi,

We are putting in some raised garden beds (only raised one sleeper high 200mm and I will dig down a little too) and I wish to start with some good quality soil without paying an exorbitant amount, organic with no weeds.

The major players Centenary Landscape, Tingalpa etc. all have it for about $60-80/m3 but I was hoping there is somewhere producing good quality stuff locally for a fair price. Not sure how much I need yet, but maybe 5m3.

I am in inner city Brisbane.

Thank you

Clive

Views: 2448

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Clive have you thought about buying bags of this and that and making your own mix?

Vermiculite, soaked coconut coir both fine and coarse, sand, potting mixes of various kinds, composted animal manures for example and mushroom compost.

A high organic matter content means better water retention but it does mean topping up at least once a year. pH should be around 7, check the pH of any 'soil' being offered by landscapers. Reading reports on BLF, pHs have been as high as 10 or so making it unusable for vegetables.

Hi Elaine, I have previously made my own soil for containers. Using Vermiculite, Perlite, Coir and Mushroom compost + organic fertilisers and rock elements. However, I was making 40L batches, I need about 100+ times that, so I was hoping to find a trusted local supplier to supply the whole lot. Failing that I will make my own.

A lot depends on your physical abilities. Speaking for we two old women, buying parts of our needs in 30L bags while probably more expensive, is less taxing on our bodies. Someone dumping 3 tons of mix on our driveway is not an option for us. Recently we filled 24 x 200L bins. Trust me, that is a lot of mix. We did it in fits and starts over a period and for us (81 and 73) it was a major accomplishment. Or as Andy suggests, contact Mark Braz on BLF. First you need to request a 'friend' then when he accepts, you will be able to private message him via this forum.

An advantage of bags is that if one bag is no good you can catch it early before it doesnt spoil the rest or alternately the one bag becomes so dikuted in the mix it doesnt matter.

Psst... try one of our own. . Mark Braz. 

This is always an interesting conversation to have.

I don't personally know of any suppliers Clive. I created my own soil in 3 x 4mx80cm beds using whatever came to hand - lots of grass clippings, garden clippings and composted manure with added rock dust, Organic Xtra etc along the way.

Each time I planted I just used a top layer of something to plant into immediately - store bought garden soil in bags, my own compost etc.

I've ended up with a rich, worm filled organic soil with great PH.

Folk have always expressed problems with the store bought stuff. It's the quick easy way to fill beds but is it ultimately the best?

Oh, Mark Braz contact details (you can also message him on this site but a phone call might be quicker) sales@slipsafe.com.au or 32637528

Yes if you wanted to DIY , buy Sugar Cane mulches and such and lay 'em out for planting. 

I suggest the mulches --as bales -- because they are lighter and easier to use. I've spent 6 years carting grass clippings from off my verge to build 'soil' and suggest that while that works, I'd now also incorporate much more manures in my activity.

In my latest read Managing Manure, Kopecky argues you can grow veg in manure -- and there are supplier links here on the BLG site. 

We get soil loads into the school garden and 2 things are clear: it's expensive and the quality varies a huge amount. Most of my neighbours -- who garden -- import soil here, and it does work. But a lot of carting is involved...and I'd not do it (a) in Summer or (b) wet weather.

But a bale of 'straw' and a bag of poo -- all in your own good time. Thats' the magic combo that has sustained horticulture for centuries.

Christa posted this INFO about a landscape outlet at Acacia Ridge the other day.

If you want a very high grade soil ready to pour right off the bat, then contact steve jones landscaping on the Brisbane northside. What you want is to get a cubic meter, but have it three parts compost, one part aged mineral soil. This is the best bulk mix I have found around the traps. I have had to buy bulk soil in many instances as I am on horrible cracking clay that must either be excavated or built upon. You're looking at around 100$ for a full cube, but that is a LOT of soil, and it really is superb.

Yes, I have seen their soil and it is a very good quality, maybe I will try them next.  Maybe even take the trailer for a load.  Do you still have Dragonfruit growing, my aim is to grow some different varieties.

Yes, I have pretty much all of them at this stage. If you buy a few I'll knock the price down.

Good to hear, I sent you a private message,  we used to live not far from you on Dayboro Road many years ago when it was just bush and before the dam was there. 

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service