Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Time to plant amaranth, artichoke, Asian greens, asparagus, beans, beetroot, cabbage, capsicum, carrot, celery, chilli, choko, cucumber, eggplant, fennel,  kale, leek, lettuce, okra, parsnip, potato, spring onion, squash, sweet corn, sweet potato, tomato, turnips, yams/okra and zucchini.

Moon gardeners will want to avoid planting from 3 to 10, 17 and 25 September and 3 to 9, 17 and 25 October.

(Taken from the Good Organic Gardening Sept/Oct 18)

(I tend to put these on our facebook time but forget to share them here!)

Views: 37

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hmmm, written by someone from down south? Cabbage, Kale, Carrot, Leek, Lettuce, Parsnip, Potato do best in a cooler climate than ours so we usually plant these varieties in autumn-winter. Lettuce will do OK for a while until the weather really warms.

Good Organic Gardening is a great mag, I get mine from the Library for .65c and they get to keep it rather than it making a pile at my place.

I like their simplified moon planting chart, for me it's more meaningful to see a graphic rather than figuring out the words.

I thought about it, but my cabbage is suddenly doing great (south side).  Potatoes look like they are going well so far (yeah, yeah, it's my first season!) but on both sides of the yard.  Remember my last post about micro-climates?  I'm having to learn completely different gardening skills for each side of my yard.  It's starting to freak me out - but at least I understand the issue now. 

Micro-climate is all, Andy. The more trial, the less error ;-) Join the freaks who garden :-)

Yes sounds like someone who does not live in the subtropics. It is a real gamble if you plant out anything from the cabbage family now. Yes, IF, we get ordinary weather it might be viable, but with the hotter winter maximums we have been experiencing I cannot believe that we wont be getting a very warm Spring and therefore a lot of plants will fry in summer like conditions. My best bets are to plant out the quick growing Asian greens, as well as sweet corn, sweet potato, pumpkin (not mentioned), eggplant, ginger, turmeric, yacon, lettuce, tomato (small quick growing types). Most of my planting will be done in semi shade conditions, except for the real sun loving types. Eggplant, pumpkin, sweet corn.

RSS

Support Brisbane Local Food

Please support our Brisbane Local Food community.  Donations can be made directly to Andy's paypal account.  These are in Australian dollars.  Donations of $5 and above will be gratefully received and used only to pay for BLF web-hosting.  A donation of $25 will pay to host the site for a calendar month!

Donate to BLF on this link

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

© 2018   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service