Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

WHAT RARE OR UNCOMMON FRUIT PLANT HAVE YOU GOT GROWING IN YOUR BACKYARD

Today I was looking at the Rare Fruit Council web page  dated 1994, HERE, and was very surprised at the uncommon and rare fruit plants that they had growing in the Brisbane botanical gardens beside the river.  There are quite a few of them growing in the Mt. Cootha gardens now.   Don't think I am capable of walking the distance anymore but I would love to see them. 

This site made me think of any rare or unusual plant I might have.  One which I think is unusual is a plant from the grape family, and a perennial,  it is called the veldt grape, Cissus quadrangularis.   The plant grows wild in India and also in South Africa. 

It has just started to take off, though I have not tasted the fruit yet, it reminds me of a cactus plant with a square stem, but with tendrils and has one leaf here and there. 

I do have some uncommon native trees growing in the yard as well, in pots, one of the vines is an Sacha inca nut.  

Share with us any rare or unusual fruit you have growing at your place. 

Views: 486

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe after your cherry has put on that extra growth, and you still don't have fruit, try cincturing the tree and see what happens.  

Whatever that is. Anyway I figure if it's going to do well here it does it on its own. I will prune it once it goes into dormancy and see what happens next season.

I'm ruthless when it comes to plants which don't perform. With some of the trickier ones like the Blueberries, I cut them some slack and try to adjust the conditions. With the Cherry it is such an unknown quantity. Kyogle is a lot colder than here and that's a down-side for marginal plants like the Cherry.

Daleys have a video about cincturing a tree, I have purchased a cincture knife if you wish to borrow it.  It is a way of forcing a tree to flower or produce.  You could use it as a last straw, in case you are thinking of giving it the axe. 

I see what you are saying Elaine, and we may not be around to see what happens to our special trees etc. but what if this heat is going to be a permanent thing, will we have to strongly adjust our gardening skills and store more water etc. 

There is a good paper on THIS and although it is dated 2015, they were some learned people doing the research, and from about page 12 on, they talk about some of the effects that may cause concern.  This is not meant to scare but to maybe learn about our options for the future.  

Christa unless we can get our government to truly commit to climate change and go for renewables in a major way, we ARE in for increasing temperatures for longer. And we ARE in for stronger cyclones, higher water levels, more droughts and the whole climate change deal.

Since it's almost too late to do much - although we as individuals can do our 'thing' and hope our 'leaders' (ie the ones we pay to run our government) now and in the future really grasp the science and get their ideology out of our way. Storing more water, growing more water-efficient plants and so on, is the only way I can see we can cope with the weather and climate.

So getting back to the Cherry: I'd rather not butcher it, if it wants to fruit meaning I have given it the conditions it requires, then it will. If not then it's been a fun experiment and I put it down to 'experience'.

A couple of cashew trees with cashew apples . Haven't tried to separate the nut yet .. It's covered with a caustic sap .

Any pics Suzanne?

Here is one
Attachments:

Nice shot :) 

Attaching an image is one way of sharing photos but the oomph is lost as people just see a link that they may or may not click on.

Try using the icons at the top of the Reply box - straight after the word LINK is an icon of a photo frame (hover and it says Image). Click on that and you can load an actual pic that everyone can see immediately and appreciate.

Why the makers of the forum software have chosen to include that 'Attachment' link I don't know ... it's a trap for the new-comer. This is what it looks like when included with the text:

And this is the nav bar:

Wow!! This was one of my plants that I wanted but knew I couldn't have in my small block - sap is just too risky.  Couldn't even plonk it in the "extended backyard" as there are too many children around and I wouldn't want to be responsible for them hurting themselves.  What a beautiful photo.  Thanks for posting.

I didn't know you could grow these in Brisbane area, I thought they only grew in north Queensland.   Hope you get to taste them, even though it is a job getting to the nut. Thanks for sharing.

RSS

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Organic Farm Share

Ads by Google

© 2017   Created by Farina Murray.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service