Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

WHAT RARE OR UNCOMMON FRUIT PLANT HAVE YOU GOT GROWING IN YOUR BACKYARD

Today I was looking at the Rare Fruit Council web page  dated 1994, HERE, and was very surprised at the uncommon and rare fruit plants that they had growing in the Brisbane botanical gardens beside the river.  There are quite a few of them growing in the Mt. Cootha gardens now.   Don't think I am capable of walking the distance anymore but I would love to see them. 

This site made me think of any rare or unusual plant I might have.  One which I think is unusual is a plant from the grape family, and a perennial,  it is called the veldt grape, Cissus quadrangularis.   The plant grows wild in India and also in South Africa. 

It has just started to take off, though I have not tasted the fruit yet, it reminds me of a cactus plant with a square stem, but with tendrils and has one leaf here and there. 

I do have some uncommon native trees growing in the yard as well, in pots, one of the vines is an Sacha inca nut.  

Share with us any rare or unusual fruit you have growing at your place. 

Views: 349

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We are now growing many Sub-Tropical Fruit Trees, most of these members would be familiar with but I think the most unusual and rare Fruit Tree we have growing would be the Jujube - Chico Ziziphus jujube, looking forward to this one fruiting one day.

Information from Daley's Fruit Nursery Website -  

Jujube - Chico Ziziphus jujuba

Fruit is round but flattened on the bottom and look similar to a small apple. Pick when the whole fruit (or at least 80%) has just turned brownish red. Texture is crisp and light we consider it an excellent fresh or dried variety. Fruit size 35-45mm. Developed at the Chico institute in California, this is an early fruiting variety. (Jan - March)
Other Names: Red Date, Chinese Date, Korean Date, Indian Date
We do have a couple of the rarer Fig Trees coming in February, I am really looking forward to those fruiting.

That's certainly an interesting one Dianne. Widely grown around the world. Hopefully you will eventually get fruit enough to share a taste around. For the keen gardener at $97 per plant.

Cheaper than some of the cartons of Beer I buy for Graham. I must explain Graham tries many Beers from around the World, we rate them in a Journal I keep for this purpose.

Just shades out the double-graft but as yet un-fruited Cherry - a mere $69 plus delivery.

From the Rhamnaceae or Buckthorn botanical family, they've been cultivated in China for more than 4,000 years.    

This should prove to be an interesting tree, will you plant it in the ground, Dianne. 

Yes, it is in the ground in a very special place where it will get attention and nothing much around it. It is still quite small and I think I will be waiting sometime for fruit.

peanut butter tree,  yes fruit  does taste and smell like peanut butter - Bunchosia argentea, commonly known as Peanut Butter Fruit, is a species of flowering plant in the acerola family, Malpighiaceae, that is native to Venezuela and Colombia in South America.[1] It produces a small orange-red fruits with sticky, dense pulp and a flavour resembling that of dried figs or peanut butter, hence the name. Additionally, the scent is unmistakably of peanut butter. Mostly eaten fresh, also used for jellies, jams, or preserves

Mary-Ann, with regard to tropical fruit trees, which one's would you say are good to eat out of hand fruit, other than apples oranges etc.  We are still playing the waiting game for tropical fruit with quite a few of ours.  Managed to get a couple of good different black sapote from Daleys and can't wait to taste them.  We would like to try the white sapote, but not sure about that one.

Did you try to get hold of a cashew tree and a tea leaf plant, or was that Sophie. 

From what you said, you have some rare fruit.  I may join BOGI again this year.  Managed to get hold of some white and pink taro from up north and look forward to trying them.

Last year I managed to get some plants from a grower in Gin Gin area, they were Kei Apples from Africa.  He sent me 8 plants so that I would stand a good chance of getting a male for the female plants.  They are quite thorny so would make a good barrier. They would have to be kept away from kids because of their thorns.  When they start to take off, you can cut off the larger thorns on the trunk of the tree.   These would also make a good espalier plant. 

we got three plants growing here of Kei apple so hopefully I will be male - took cuttings from a friends trees both male and female but they did not take - the seeds have come up 3 out of 5 so not bad ! planning on using them as a fence - just had to butcher a steer who jumped out fences ..... still trying to get capulin cherries to grow - no success yet ! 

Mary-Ann, I have a Capulin Cherry growing which started out in a semi shaded position but is now growing into the sun as it breaks through the other trees. It has grown around 6ft in 6 months and is quite bushy, it did also have flowers buds on it when only 2ft tall but I took them off. I think the secret for me was the semi shade position I began with. I also have a good mulch of Horse Manure and Sugar Cane as well I sprinkle in Diatomaceous Earth and some Mycorrhizal Fungi into my planting hole.

thanks Dianne if I ever manage to get one growing from these cuttings will definitely plant it as an under storey plant in our food forest.... just need one to take root !!!! 

RSS

Fresh Local Provisions: Fresh Food, Local and Online

About this site

Welcome to Brisbane Local Food (BLF)!

This site was created by Scarlett Patrick, to build capacity in the Brisbane  community for growing, buying, and living sustainably. Six years on, BLF is an important hub to promote, discuss, share and learn about local food growing, production, gardens, services and activities happening in our part of the world.

This site exists for you - make the most if it!

BLF is motivated by passion, not profit. We thank all volunteers and members who make this an active and inspiring space to be, as well as those individuals, organisations and groups working to make the future greener.

What is local?
The closer the better - but regional and global activities are important too.

Why local?
To reduce food miles, increase food freshness & security, improve social outcomes and reduce the unused outputs of our living environments - like stormwater and green waste.

Brisbane is a sub-tropical city in Queensland, Australia.

Organic Farm Share

Ads by Google

More Google ads

© 2017   Created by Farina Murray.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service