Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

As the pregnancy progresses, I am finding it harder to kneel/ bend over to get to the ever increasing weed population. I was going to buy a hoe (a colleague got a giggle from the name lol), but a trip to bunnings made me aware there are heaps of different types and at $30 - $50 didn't want to buy one if it wasn't suitable.

So here I need help from the BLF community, my current tools are a mattock, a spade and a pitchfork along with a small garden fork that I usually get on my hands & knees to use to loosen soil before pulling the weeds out. What would you recommend that I get to loosen the soil - which is sometimes quite hard and usually has cane mulch over it - before pulling out the weeds and why.

Obviously there are a couple of other solutions, have a true permaculture garden which has no room for weeds (which I am trying for but not there yet), or have fully raised gardens to the correct height which I am not willing to do either.

Views: 691

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've got one now too, and I really like it :)

I know someone who lent theirs to someone and they broke it - not sure how, but it's obviously possible. They're really good because you can use them for digging, scraping, pushing and pulling soil - they're a very versatile and useful tool. Feels very ergonomic to use. I think you still need a hand held fork for levering as well - but it replaces a trowel, and it's better than a trowel.

I don't know? Is probably fine I imagine - or post a link to the original.

I paid the Choice fee, so a link won't give anyone the info. Can upload the PDF next time I'm on the laptop. May not be till Sunday.
hmm, they might ping you on that. you'd best check the terms and conditions, don't want google to decide to cancel our ads again

Beryl, is this pic what you're talking about.  Just bought a few versions of these - to help weed out the nut grass and they're really excellent.

These are seriously excellent especially if you get stainless steel with a longer-than-this-one handle.
Yes I have a couple of these too. Can be very useful.
Thinking of getting a machete to slash through the unbelievably long grass - any recommendations?

Watch your shins! The blade needs to be very sharp. If you can get a genuine World Ward 2 machete, they are much heavier than the ones you buy in the disposals stores. A Cane Knife is another starter but the same tips apply. Both are wicked tools more easily wielded by a young and very strong person. 

Personally I would get a set of Friskars long-handled 'grass scissors' which is not their official name but it's what they are. Searching their website just now is a nightmare. It is something like this: 

With an adjustable scissor-action cutting head BUT mine has two handles at right-angles to the shaft, not like this one which would be tough on the hand and wrist. A trip to the local hardware might be useful though. Sometimes they stock them, sometimes not. They need to be kept sharp, learning to use a fine file to sharpen the blades (like scissors, only on one side) will be well-rewarded.

Thanks Elaine, have not come across that sort of thing but have some flat long blade hedge trimmers that do the job but just aren't as satisfying... I imainge myself slashing thru the long grass as if on some kind of quest in search of the lost tomato bush and/or pumkin vine :) I am eyeing off this.. In fact its the only one in Bris I seem to find easily online as Bunnings doesnt seem to stock them? http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Gerber-25-Gator-Machete/281413

Blimey that's a wicked tool, too.

OK on the Bunnings website is this:

which is precisely the contraption I have. The giant scissors fold out and are adjustable for angle. I can guarantee that this is the simplest and most ergonomic device around and if you can find one, go for it. It is now $145, more than double what I paid some years back - they go in and out of stock. Anyway ... you will do better with this contrivance than anything else. Buy yourself a fine file to keep the edges keen.

Hedge shears are OK if very sharp BUT you will be bending a lot. OK if you're 24-34 but not 74 ... Try them first after giving the edges a good sharpen. See how you go before spending more money. For all-round trimming up against things like pots that you would not want to whipper-snip, the thingies I have illustrated are hard to beat and are worth every penny if kept sharp.

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service