Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

This is my first year growing vegetables and would love to know what you will be growing, especially interested if you have grown them successfully in the past in this climate (or similar). I learned last winter that the seed packets are not to be trusted when my tomatoes grew like weeds despite the season!

Views: 105

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is my second Autumn growing veggies .....and there's a lot I want to grow but probably won't get to grow half of them...:-
- Salads (lettuces, rockets, mizuna etc) **
- Chinese greens (bok choi, choi sum etc)
- Tomatoes (**cherry)
- Onion *
- Chives, leeks, spring onion**
- Peas (Garden, sugarsnap, snowpeas*)
- Spinach
- Radish **
- Sweet potatoes *
- Broccoli *
- Broad beans *
- Beetroot
- Silverbeet
- Carrots *
- Zucchini
- Turnips (first time)

** Reasonably successful and Should have sown more, *At least I got something, no star means they didn't grow for me last year. One thing I tried last year which I am not going to try again is Brussel Sprouts.. took ages to grow and only gave a handful of pin head size sprouts :(

I'd like to know how others did last year and what's planned this year too :)
Last year from March I grew - Kale , Leeks , Silver Beet , Lettuce ,Cabbage , Celery ,Shallots , Spinach ,Coriander , Tatsoi , Pak Choi , Cheery Tomatoes & Snow peas , all of which are esay to grow at this time (from March on) .I intend to grow more Leek,s this year as I find them to be very useful and last very well in the ground . I also intend to try and get some heritage type tomatoes going in pot,s as i can only grow cheery types in the ground .I have intended to grow Asparagus for along time and this year got a plant , but as my beads are still not finish i have not yet discided on the spot to grow , I belive they can go for 25 yr .
Hi Christopher, I planted 2yo crowns last year. There is a forum thread that I created at the time with some useful information. Apparently 25years is the minimum and in some cases it can be 70years!

I planted most of mine too close together in one bed but they are still really healthy, I will have to separate them in another year or two but that isn't really an issue as long as they are dormant at the time.

I wasn't sure about Bne sun and tried two spots, the one that I tried in a semi shaded spot did not do very well at all and may not even survive transplant this autumn but I will give it a go. Full sun was fine for the other bed and they have all thrived this summer.

My seed collection includes a pretty good variety of heirloom tomatoes, you are welcome to try a few. I will bring my seeds to your garden open day.
Hi Donna , have you ever tried Kale ? I grow it every year from March on and find it to be just about fool proof . I have grown a curly type from seedlings I buy at cabulture markets for the last 4 years without a problem apart from some grasshopper damage .
People keep saying kale to me too - will have to try it this year. I'd like to grow purple cabbage too - tried it in Melbourne but it didn't heart up.
I will also plant cabbage, potatoes, chinese cabbage, bush beans, artichokes, garlic, strawberries and cauliflower. Hopefully my spuds will be better this year. My brussel sprouts were tiny this year too. My friend Linda says that hers were tiny this year but not the previous year - might just have been the lack of frost last year?

I also grew tomatoes successfully through the winter last year so will try zucchini this year as well. I'll try onions again too.
also celery! am looking forward to having lots of celery again
A quote from ORGANIC GARDENING by PETER BENNETT '' Brussels sprouts are as easy to grow as any other members of the group(brassicas) , but all too often disappointment in the final crop is experienced as a result of one golden rule not being observed , namely : sprouts must be sown or planted in hot weather at a time that will ensure that they will mature during the coldest time of the year . Indeed , the best sprouts are those that are subject to frost conditions at the maturing stage . Winter conditions across Australia vary so much that gardeners should work out their own planting schedules for sprouts according to their knowledge of local winter conditions . Bearing in mind that sprouts will begin producing their first edible-size heads in about 12 to 14 weeks after planting out . " . I have never had any sucess with sprout here , we grew them in CHRISTCHURCH NZ (where lack of frost was not a issue ) when we where kids , but hatted them , Now I love them a carnt grow them , thats life .!!!!.
The ones I grew were little and fiddly to harvest, but there were millions of them and they were delicious. I remember brussel sprouts being hideous, soggy, grey, smelly-old-boot things when I was little, but now that I've learnt to just barely cook them my daughter asked "what are these delicious little green things?" and sat there picking them out of her meal! Seems bizarre really, who would guess? Also I noticed that as the aphids got the bushes late in the season the plants themselves exuded that nasty smell that I remembered. Off to the chook pen - they loved them.
The consensus is March is the beginning of autumn, is this for seeds or seedlings already sprouted (for those varieties that don't have a problem with transplant shock)? Do I plant some seeds this weekend that will be ready to plant out on 1st March or wait until then to plant seeds?

I saw somewhere recently about carrots in pots and will be trying this method as when we created the raised beds we put down paper & cardboard and didn't dig up the grass underneath.
I think the season guides are usually for planting seeds. check the citygrowers website if you want definitive times for when to plant
generally as long as things don't get too hot or dry out you can plant seeds ahead of the weather that suits them and plant out advanced plants (ie seedlings) when the time comes
you will probably be able to plant carrots in the raised beds in a few years once the soil under the gardens opens up. carrots are OK in broccoli boxes if you keep the water up. try dwarf varieties for better success. they like about 30cm of soil.
I have started digging up my beds, manuring and adding compost in readiness for Autumn planting. Last year almost everything I put in survived and was a real joy to watch growing! Chris, if you go to the Caboolture markets for your kale seedlings, please would you buy a punnet for me? I can't get there because it's on Sundays.... Our asparagus bed is looking good - Derek got a plant from Shipard's Herb Farm, and 2 seedlings from Heronswood in Victoria, they're all doing well, we should be able to start harvesting this year, yummmm!
hi addy, i was at caboolture last week and they said it would be 2-3 weeks for the autumm/winter seedlings (kale etc) but as soon as they are there i will get some .

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service