Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

The logic of this is pretty good:

Views: 446

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

More Information: begin here: http://kondenskompressor.blogspot.com.au/

Article:http://www.sitiosolar.com/el%20goteo%20solar.htm

On Youtube you'll see a vid using seawater to irrigate using this method.

You'll need to translate from the Spanish....

some great ideas here.

It looks ugly, but I love the principal.  

There's a hydroponic lettuce farm in SA that works on this principal operating entirely on wind and solar power, watering with sea water.  I'll see if I can find the article about them...

http://reneweconomy.com.au/2012/seawater-greenhouse-just-add-solar-...

Perhaps Sundrop Farms might be the one you're thinking about Jodie ... see BLF post here.

That is intrigueing. Have you given it a go yourself Dave?

I'll have a look at the video links a little later.

If you want to read the translation try Google Translation. Works with big chunks of info quite well.

There's English info and pix, takes some delving so here they are ... not being a drinker of soft drink, there'll be no bottles to use (nor milk bottles either). I wonder what the alternatives are.

Perhaps the north side might work best for us?

Do you think the plastic bottles would cause a heat problem for plants in our climate? Concentrating the heat. Perhaps having all the moisture in there would negate it.

I too don't drink softdrinks or bottled water. I don't particularly like thinking about all that plastic in my back yard either. There must be an alternative.

We're flat out avoiding the plastic :-( I have plenty of concertina-tubing which I use for watering spikes. Perhaps covering them with a bucket, maybe? But the water disappears so quickly when using the watering spikes, I doubt that would work. Back to the drawing board.

I gather you need something that the water does not run out of ...

For domestic applications there is another method.  More transpiration than condensation, but you basically dig a lidded terracotta vessel into the soil (benefit being it is almost invisible and won't deteriorate from sunlight) then you keep the vessels filled with water which leaches through the terracotta to the soil, giving plants indirect moisture during a dry spell.  A simple internet search will come up with many examples.  

'Wet Pots' among other brands - and Dave on here suggested using the wine coolers sometimes available at charity shops. The latter are not common, I've looked for months now and not found any. But Wet Pots and other manufactured items are quite expensive where the soft-drink bottles (if one uses them) are only expensive in Dentistry.

Actually, has anyone stopped to think that by using this method, you can get great use out of other people's plastic softdrink bottles?  I soda stream all my cola nowdays, but I have a few washed bottles in my pantry (I dunno! I figured one day they might come in handy?!) I'd need to downscale from 5 litre ones but the idea is great (um... although perhaps somewhat ugly...)

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service