Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Good morning lovely gardeners!  I know I am not a proper member and accept your wrath as my due for intrusion, but I hope someone can help

I work for NSW DPI in weed biocontrol- we do testing to check if the insect we hope to import will eat any native or horticultural plants, or solely the weed we wish to control.  The next project coming in is to control Pereskia aculeata, a leaf cactus, and I am commencing looking for a range of other plants for host-range testing- in this instance, Talinum triangulare.

If anyone has Surinam spinach or waterleaf, and knows that is is definitely Talinum triangulare, or knows someone who knows someone... anything really!- please do contact me.  Ideally we are looking for up to thirty small plants/cuttings/healthy pieces, and happily willing to reasonably recompense for time and effort and postage (to NSW).

My email address is  ashara.patterson@dpi.nsw.gov.au

Thank you all for your time!

Ashara

Views: 67

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What's 'improper' Ashara? ;-) There will be gardeners who grow this plant, I used to but don't now. What an interesting area you work in!

I've emailed Ashara, as even though this is not the best time of year for Suriname spinach, I think I can provide it.

Hi everyone

A huge thanks to those who found and sent me some Talinum- the cuttings and seedlings are in the glasshouse and doing really well, it's super appreciated.

As the stem-wilting bug is already released in South Africa- they have already done their testing for Pereskia control- the boss will take over most of the rockwool cuttings of Talinum, along with a few other succulent species from Australia, and they will do field testing on our lovely procured plants.

In addition, we'll do our own testing over here, and hopefully all goes well and we can get approval to release the agent the proper way

Yay for science! 

RSS

Support Brisbane Local Food

Please support our Brisbane Local Food community.  Donations can be made directly to Andy's paypal account.  These are in Australian dollars.  Donations of $5 and above will be gratefully received and used only to pay for BLF web-hosting.  A donation of $25 will pay to host the site for a calendar month!

Donate to BLF on this link

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

© 2018   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service