Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

There's a lot of info available online on the subject of human urine as fertiliser

This is a good introduction:

Aside from the associated water saving -- flushing less -- advantage, there is a scientific case that urine  may be the answer to a looming global shortage of phosphorus, a key component in fertilisers.

Despite the  'yuk' factor, human urine is actually a relatively clean substance. It should be sterile when produced at the body  factory. Compared to other sources of  manure fertiliser -- cow, horse, sheep, chicken -- it carries much less chance of contamination by pathogens. 

Indeed, in-house human urine -- rather than the other solid stuff -- is where most of the good nutrients are at. 

The downside is the smell. However, if urine is diluted and spread on soil or mulch within 24 hours of its production, the odour issue won't register significantly in the process. Although some commercial  system do -- the preferred domestic management approach rule should be don't store your urine: use it fresh.

In situations of drought or water restrictions, recycling urine can save a significant amount of water. Even low-flow toilets use approx 6 litres   per flush (as opposed to 13.2 litres for the full) so that a visit to pee on average 5 times per day will use up a daily quotient of 30 litres of water. 

After working as a nurse for many years, especially in geriatric facilities,  urine doesn't scare me at all.  I also recall the time before sewerage connections were installed in houses and folk relied on outback 'can' toilets and under bed 'potties' -- just like kids' toilet training hardware-- to get them through the night without en suites

I've been experimenting. So far so good. While it takes some dedication to collect and distribute human urine -- production is easy -- compared to other exotic gardening activities, like making manure teas and composting, it has its efficacy merits.

Why bother with pee, you ask? 

I think the core advantage with urine harvesting is that it can contribute to your water budget by reducing  usage. It won't impact on your water bill much given the way the utilities currently charge, but each week you could be saving 300 litres of drinkable water from being flushed away. Scandinavians  are building townships that recycle urine as a form of sustainable sewerage management.

Is the effort  worth it for the plants?

Hypothetically you'll save on input costs as you won't be importing fertilisers.Aside from the phosphorus advantage, research is very supportive:

Indeed if you were  feeling a bit low on any day  and feeling a tad worthless as a human being , you can take heart from the fact that  you  could supply enough urine to fertilize roughly 6,300 tomato plants a year.

There's power in pee!

Views: 1888

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I use a 9 litre bucket with a swinging handle and I rest a large heavy plate on top of it.It functions like a toilet seat cover.  There's already water in the bucket when I get to it with my daily offerings ...and then the protocol is to decant into a watering can before tip toeing hither and yon playing at  Ms Mary Mary.

I could say Ommm or whisper a prayer --'Having received so much, I offer all I have. All my work for the love of thee.Amen' -- but I'm usually hung over from  sleepfulness to get too ethereal.

Mary, Mary, quite contrary
How does your garden grow?
With silver bells and urine smells

And pretty maids all in a row.

ADVENTURES IN URINE

A WINTER TIP

The tragedy of the cooler months is that you produce much more urine than you do when you are sweating during the heat. In Brisbane, cool also means dry so you need to factor that into your urine distribution regime as there will be less precipitation to spread your wee love...and they'll be much more of that.

If you started early in life the sheer volume of your Winter time capacity to manufacture fertilizer will amaze you. As  the old saying goes -- 'your blood's worth bottling!' -- you may begin to wonder: 'how much could I get per litre?'

Since you'll be producing a surplus you may be tempted to go door to door hawking your product. Or walk the streets with a cart: 'Urine! Fresh urine! Made Fresh this morning! Urine to go! Fresh Urine....'

PS: I would envisage that you could have labeling issues. But then, suggested name: 'Garden Whizz'. (sounds better than 'wee').

Its' not so bizarre as it may seem as the sale of nightsoil was common  in many countries. In Japan the waste products of rich people were sold at higher prices because their diet was better; therefore, more nutrients remained in their waste.

And besides -- when you hawk your own home made stuff, you cut out the middle man.

The essence of 'locally grown' ... I can envisage the possibility of a franchising opportunity.

It was only this month that I had to  purchase fertilizer for the local school garden and I was surprised at the hefty price tag. I said to myself, 'I can make this for free!'

I tells ya all, home grown urine is the essence of self sufficiency.

You could raise money for the school with your product- fresh from all those kids. Keep them well hydrated.

It's cool to go outside at night and share the pee at the moment. I have to be quick.

'It's cool to go outside at night..'

I think what you are doing is cool too.

As a point of information the Bosistos Eucostream inhaler would make a functional urinal for women. Just don't go using it later on for the what it was intended, without first giving it a darn good rinse.

Footnote: Eucalyptus oil was used widely in the second half of the 19th century to cleanse urinals used by the British army.The only drawback with mixing your brews is that Eucalyptus oil is a herbicide.

One day I might buy a gizmo. I quite like the thrill of peeing in the open. Not much risk of being caught as it's pitch black and my yard is a jungle, but small thrills. When I get dementia there'll be no stopping me.

Well who woulda thought?

It's been all of three years since I first  became a happy mictuator upon my outback soil. 

Three years since I first embraced the flow.

My wee has splashed hither and yon as if I was a painter of landscapes:layer upon layer.

Ah! All my own work. My own business. No one helped me or gave me a hand. I just improvised.

As a guy keen on gardening I thought I was pointing myself in the right direction.

En route -- unlike many of my fellows-- I have developed an intimate relationship with my precious bodily fluids -- daily sharing my mictuated essences with the creatures of the soil.

I say unto my earthworm brethren, "Sup well. 'Tis manna, not from heaven, but from me. "

Apr 19, 2018 - Efforts to keep nitrogen fertilisers on farm and away from the fragile Great Barrier Reef can be boosted by use of liquid fertilisers, a study has found. Research conducted in the north Queensland town of Ingham has proven the use of molasses, a sugar milling by-product, can slow the rate at which nitrogen leaches from soil.

well said I agree with you.

I have a watering can under the house I pee into several times a day, I water it down and use on my plants, have done this for years.

Yep - like dog pee.  You have to water it down or age it, or it's gunna burn the hell out of your plants. 

Not true. pH is pretty stable at 6.0 on average. Dog or cat pee is in the 6.5 to 7.0 range. The issue is the salt and high Nitrogen levels.. . that's why its usually diluted when applied.

However, my experience suggests that with a heavily mulched garden and on sandy soil you can apply it straight from the tap --via  a collection vessel.

Never over the leaves.

Any aging over 24 hours is sure to produce odour ++++without any gain in nutrient value.

I do however dilute it 15:1 for seeds/seedlings.

Once you start using a portable 1 litre capacity urinal you won't want to go back to other vessels.I have three.

Um... who mentioned ph, Dave?  I understand that it's nitrogen burn.  I see it where the dogs wee on the grass.  I suspect you could just dilute chook poo for the same reason but it's easiest to age with compost (which really is only a good way of diluting it as well). 

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2021   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service