Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Been a looooong time since I've posted anything on BLF. My bad :)

I started, or at least attempted, to grow garlic back in 2012. At the same time I planted some of the same cloves for my parents at their place out at Greenbank. This photo was taken around Sep after our very first harvest of garlic. Mine is the small one. Sadly that was as big as they got here.

Here are my garlic from the first harvest in 2012, all golf ball size or smaller.

Fast forward to Spring 2015. After some years of experimentation and research, here are some of the bulbs (same cultivar from 3 years ago) I pulled up a few weeks ago. A bit better in size, wouldn't you say?

Well, check this out.

That is my biggest bulb next to an average sized bulb from my parents. Again, grown from the same batch of cloves from the same cultivar. And mine were in the ground for 2 weeks longer!

Check out how plumb the bulb is. The individual cloves are huge.

Sometimes you just can't win LOL.

Definitely something to do with microclimate I reckon.

Views: 352

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes nice post but it does show how fickle it is to grow garlic in our climate (or anywhere?). If I didn't like garlic so much I would just stick to shallots and spring onions. Much less effort. Still our climate does let us grow the broadest variety of produce.

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

VETIVER COMMUNITY PROJECT

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

The Vetiver Community Project is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service