Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

This discussion comes about from my thoughts of gardening practices, and I can relate to Jeffrey Hodges.  He believes in gardening with nature and that it is meant to be both easy and enjoyable.   He teaches us to be more attune to our garden.  

This had lead me to feel a little uneasy, with my change to wicking bed gardening, as it is quite different to his approach to gardening.   This being said, I am not going to change my system now and will make do with what I have in wicking beds and enjoy what I can give and receive from my garden.  It suits our age and abilities at the moment.

With my compost bin working well and plenty of compost available soon, and the additives PERLITE  and  VERMICULITE, and ROCKDUST, ZEOLITE, BIOCHAR  that I have sitting stored in the shed, I think I will add most of  them to my compost bin.

We have started a regime of spraying fortnightly a Triple Boost & Neem liquid mix which will go into a spray trolley and foliar feed all our garden plants, and once per month or when changes are noticed we will spray with Silica and Potash and Seaweed liquid.   At the beginning of each season, we will dry fertilize our soil and beds with Organic Link.  These mixes are available from a warehouse just down the road from us.  (www.batphone.com.au/)

My dilemma is in trusting the things that we read on the internet.  Learning what is real and what is really not needed has made me think. This story came about when trying to find out more about HUMUS and ONE SUCH STORY IS HERE.  Who do we believe?

If we keep wanting more food from our garden, we need to replace it with some sustenance. 

Nature replenishes the soil itself, and we, as gardeners, can help speed it up, or just let nature take the slow road. The choices we make, can sometimes be quite expensive, as in the compost bin, and netting for covering plants, water tanks, importing bales of hay, lucerne, or sugar cane, water and also the cost of sprays that I get from down the road. 

I would like to find the happy medium.  We will make a decision on whether to continue our spraying efforts to see if it is was worthwhile.  In the meantime working with nature sounds good to us.    Perennials will be promoted and kept for repeat use, along with our carefree plants in bins.

The KISS rule is finally making sense for us.  What do you think?  Maybe we are getting lazy.

Views: 440

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There's always a down-side! :-\ ... I am planning a mix of next-door neighbour's grass and mainly Vetiver with some 'whirrings' from the mulcher from time to time. I am just going to work with what I have available. I've not yet managed to get any Vetiver cuttings to grow and am waiting for spring to try again. I have 2 beds ready for the Strawberry runners and another in progress and am figuring on using the Vetiver in place of pine needles which I cannot easily get. We'll all know more in a few months.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Organic Farm Share

Ads by Google

© 2017   Created by Farina Murray.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service