Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

I'm  a person who braises and stews  (food that is). By habit, I've gravitated to an interest in squashes.

Not one to tolerate the angst of growing standard zucchinis in SEQld -- I defer to other varieties.

This time of year the Tromboncino option isn't hugely productive, but with foresight I've planted many more Tatume (aka Calabacita) than I need.

Tatume is a Mexican staple. Grows without problem in this humid weather, fruits profusely and tastes fabulous. 

No major diseases.

There is a longer variety but the round is so nicely contained.

As vines, they do take off, but i find therm better behaved than other climbing squashes as I can grow them along rope lines if I want. Picked young, about the size of a cricket ball, they won't weigh your trellising down as their growth  habit is much like choko.

They do taste a lot better than chokos. As the local pumpkin hub points out:

"Inside, the thick yellow flesh is firm, moist and not stringy with a nice mild taste and medium sweet finish.  Flesh is plentiful." -- Pumpkin Paradise, Bundaberg

If you are of the zucchini persuasion -- I'd definitely  choose Tatume as the accompanying crop to Tomboncino.

Very versatile in the kitchen too as these recipes suggest.

Views: 148

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry Barb and Chris.  I got three lots of seeds.  The Tatume from Pumpkin Paradise and a Golden Nugget pumpkin and Burgundy Snake Beans from Happy Valley Seeds.  They all turned up so quickly on the same day.  Wahoo!  Total cost was less than $12. 

Great! Happy planting.

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2021   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service