Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

There I was thinking that my cuisine was getting too boutique and customised.
The major issue was my penchant to serve corn tortillas instead of rice with, for instance, tonight's delicious Sri Lankan curry.
But in India, in the state of Punjab, a corn flat bread , Makki Di Roti, is prepared and eaten .
The DIY is a world-away version of a classic Mexican corn tortilla.
It may be referred to as a 'roti' -- and used accordingly at table -- but I'm telling you corn tortillas go so well with curry.
Aside from the culinary marriage, a tortilla made from nixtamalized corn 'masa' is going to be a lot better for you than a bowl of white rice.
And tortillas are really filling. None of that hungry soon-after feeling. For instance, here's the comparable GI:

White rice, boiled 73 ± 4
Unleavened wheat bread 70 ± 5
Brown rice, boiled 68 ± 4
Wheat roti 62 ± 3
Chapatti 52 ± 4
Corn tortilla 46 ± 4

Of course, all you have to do is make your own tortillas.
After 8 months of practice, that's easy. What you need to do is exploit any opportunity you can to make them -- like for a curry and at least weekly taco events.
Like Taco Tuesday!
Why not Curry Thursday?

So tonight -- which I think was a Sunday -- we had a Japanese dish,Oyakodon which should be  a rice bowl dish that combines chicken and  egg as toppings.

But we ate it on tacos.

Why bother, you ask?

I'm not a silly billy you know because I'm trying to reduce my carbohydrate intake...and a homemade corn taco contains 7-12 grams of carbohydrate. A slice of bread has around 12-15 grams.

With a nutritional profile a lot better than white flour (and white bread ) corn works for me. It may have the edge on wholemeal breads too as a taco is whole corn -- without the gluten that comes with wheat.

Two homemade tacos fill me adequately.The mix I don't use, I put away in the fridge 'til next time.

Mind you, I add pork lard -- as is the tradition -- although other oils will do (I guess -- it's your tablespoon choice). And my quirk is to sprinkle in Black Cumin (Nigella sativa)  which adds to the nutritional profile and taste.

With tacos you also save on the washing up. Even the mixing bowl comes away clean as the ball of corn and water separates from the sides.  No cutlery is an option.

Of course, we also eat tacos with Mexican food. Strange as it may now seem. Therein rests a major culinary adventure.

Taco plus whatever and salsa... Tis an art form. But anything goes on a taco. Think of all the layers you can throw on.

It is a truly remarkable culinary canvas.

Meat, salad greens, nopales, cheese, avocado, fruits, onions, sour cream, herbs, cabbage, mayo, chili, beans....even tomatoes!

But you'll need to master the DIY and I wouldn't try that without a tortilla press as the presses make the prep so easy and quick...and fun!

A taco afterall, is built from the ground up. You eat the plate, so to speak.

[As one does with Swedish rye crisp bread --Knäckebröd*-- another flat bread, that traditionally is the size of a dinner plate.]

But get real: a taco is much smaller than your any or everyday supermarket wraps based on the Middle Eastern Pita breads. Check the video. Dribble is very likely.

*Knäckebröd: homemade Knäckebröd is my pantry standby. They keep for ever seemingly. Whole rye baked with other seeds like pumpkin, sunflower ...and Nigella.

Views: 234

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you want to taste a corn taco, an Argentinian (not Mexican!) acquaintance recommended those offered by the  Guzman y Gomez franchise.

GASTRONOMICAL RULING:

Their $5 corn taco is a good example of a tortilla. The filling isn't exciting, nor the salsa...but the underneath is OK and receives my  thumbs up.

I always keep a lot of masa -- nixtamalized  corn flour -- in the cupboard. Needless to say in times of distancing from the shops, I'm moderately self sufficient.

The only thing we need to fret over is milk. We don't eat bread or pasta or potatoes or rice. We need the milk to make the Filmjölk yogurt and for our tea and coffee.

Now that I look for fewer excuses to go shop my purchasing habits are limited to carrots, a cabbage and what the garden is not supplying this week. While my supply collapses over the Summer heat, we rely on spring onions for 'onions' in recipes. I've started to explore chives as a substitute for when the spring onions aren't there to be had.

Generally, we eat a lot of greens.I do at least. I don't eat fruits either much or often -- 'cept lermons and limes -- so I know a green when I see one. 

These two manuals have been my go-to bible.

These are the new online links in case you cannot find them from my previous appreciation.

As for the regular shopping list essentials:olive oil, lard, cream(inclu 'sour'), milk, garlic, spices, coconut milk/cream, tinned tomatoes, tinned black beans, coffee beans, loose leaf tea, olives, cheese, and salt. 

Meats vary as price rules, but I always have bacon (and anchovies) as a flavour go to.

I offer you my shopping list because what we eat has a lot to do with the tortilla habit and the ready  day to day shift from Latin American/Caribbean cuisine to and from Asian, especially Sri Lankan,  tucker. This is the current mode of consumption.

I eat less Middle Eastern food today because it is carbohydrate dense. Ruled by wheat, you see.

As for Asian staples: our last big pack of polished rice I fed to the chooks.

This means I turn to my veg garden to supply what I yearn for: the herbs, leafy greens, tomatoes, spring onions (and chives) , sweet and chili peppers, leafy greens in abundance, the few root veges I can grow (like radishes) ,beans, leaf celery,  squashes and gourds. When available: fresh corn.

But, whatever the season, there is always leaf greens...and, in my case, nopales (prickly pear paddles).

Don't get me started on that seeming exotic: I eat prickly pear every day. I loves the stuff.

There is nothing as simple to make which is so delicious to eat as huevos con nopales "eggs with nopal"on a tortilla.

Life's pretty straight without tacos...

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service