Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

The grafted KP mango tree I planted last Jan has a handful of fruits on it at the moment. I realised I have no idea when the fruit is ready as my picking experience has until now been limited to supermarkets. Given how common mangoes are in SEQ, I feel rather silly having to ask this question. Here are a couple of photos. There's a bit of colour on one side of the fruit, the other side is still somewhat green.

Thanks!

Hi Lissa, I'm slowly populating the front yard. There's a KP and a Keow Savoy now. I'll be taking the chainsaw to that useless tree when the weather cools down a bit and will probably plant a soursop and something else. I'm sorely tempted to plant a jackfruit but it's probably too large for my small block. :(

Views: 1636

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No question is ever stupid!

Since Mangoes ripen off the tree, I'd be picking it now. Before something flies past and has a munch and ruins the fruit.

Not having grown them myself my opinion is opinion only, but it has that rosey glow that looks like it's close to eating stage.

Do mangoes continue to ripen once off the tree? Apparently they do:

Foods that Continue to Ripen After Picking

Keep in mind that, with the exception of avocados, all fruits have the best flavor when picked ripe or almost ripe. However, the following fruits will continue to ripen and improve somewhat after picking:

• Apples (best if tree-ripened, but can be picked a week early for longer storage)
  • Apricots
  • Avocados (ONLY ripen after picking!)
  • Bananas (will ripen a great deal and can be picked green)
  • Cantaloupe
  • Kiwi
  • Mangoes
  • Nectarines
  • Papaya
  • Peaches
  • Pears
  • Persimmons
  • Plums
  • Tomatoes

I am really pleased that you are putting all that space in your front yard to good use :D I have that Jackfruit in a large tub that should probably be planted out poor thing. Would take a small army of men to get it into a truck and out to your place though.

Hi Lissa, thanks I have a jackfruit seedling in a pot that is waiting to be planted. Do you still have any soursop seeds to spare? I bought one from Tropical Fruit World for Mum's new place but haven't found any here. Might be fun to try growing one from seed. I hear they are mainly propagated by seed.

Plenty of Soursop seed right at this minute. I don't know how long they will remain viable. One of those seed I think should be kept moist and used quickly.

I haven't gotten around to putting any into pots - I'm just keeping them moist at the moment and picked the last mature fruit this afternoon as something is munching on it.

I agree, you could pick them now.  I have a dwarf Irwin at the back of my place and from memory (ie my blog posts as I can't remember a thing) I left mine until beginning of february to pick last year and they were ripe.  You could very easily pick them now and put them on the bench for a couple of days to ripen though - I picked a whole bunch of green mangos from my friends tree about 2 weeks ago and they took about 10 days.  Yours should not take that long as they look far riper. 

I remember years ago when I picked mangos in tropical north Queensland as a casual job between Uni semesters that the best time to pick was when they were ripening up and had some colour. We did strip the trees of all fruit as well but that was more due to necessity and not because it was the best way to do it. I suspect fruit that ripen on the tree taste the best but unfortunately possums, flying foxes and other critters know this too.

Thank you Elaine, Lissa, Susan and Phil for your helpful replies. I started bagging them a few weeks ago when the first sign of blush appeared when I spotted a couple of fruit flies hanging around the fruit - not that fruit fly seem to target mangoes. You can see part of the bags in the photos. They're only cloth bags so they're not much protection against possums, bats or even birds. OK, I'll harvest them this afternoon, the poor little tree is bent over with the weight of the 5 fruits and I'm lucky it hasn't been snapped off by the wind.

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service