Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Is anyone growing this tree.  Named Phyllanthus distichus, aka Tahitian gooseberry.  The fruit is quite tart but are good in cooking, preserves etc.    The fruits ripen about April to June. It can be a tall tree but I intend to contain it in a pot if possible to about 2 metres. 

Views: 521

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh Amla! Named after a cricketer ;-) Seeds of which are or were available from the guy at Gin Gin whose name I have forgotten. I had the seeds at one time and gave them to someone else figuring I didn't have room for another tree.

You do like that cricketer don't you Elaine! I'm still trying to get my hands on an Amla fruit to taste but from all accounts it isn't very palatable. I suspect the star gooseberry is the same deal. Hopefully it also has a similar health promoting profile.

That particular cricketer is not a real favourite ;-) Anyway if the fruit is so tart as you have to add equal quantities of refined sugar, personally I'd be looking for something else. Especially something more simply come by e.g. Rhubarb, great stuff great flavour and can be modified by lemon juice and honey. Although sugar is sugar and it all ends up as glucose for our cells whatever its origin.

For those who would like their hair to glow and flow, Amla is known as one of the oldest herbal hair conditioners, it is highly valued for its oils.  Amla powder on an empty stomach is supposed to protect the liver from the effects of toxins and free radicals that circulate in the body. Amla juice is prescribed herbal medicine for people who have high levels of blood sugar, and it has a healing effect of some types of renal disease.  It is also an aid to digestive disorders and hyperacidity, loss of appetite and diahorrea.

There are approximately 4 different varieties that have different levels of fibre and sourness.  It appears to be mainly useful for its herbal properties in South East Asia and India.

It is amazing how our diet is not geared for sour foods,  I keep nurturing my miracle fruit so that I may eat some of these types of foods.

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service