Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Ingredients

1 kg Greek, goat milk, or buffalo milk yoghurt, unsweetened

1 ½ tsp salt

Directions:

Mix the yoghurt with the salt. Line a sieve with paper towels or clean muslin (homebrand nappy liners work too... ah new ones of course! Or a new chux). Add the salted yoghurt and place the sieve over a bowl to drain. Place in the fridge overnight.

In the morning, discard the liquid produced and turn the cheese out of the sieve into a bowl. Soft fresh cheese keeps in a covered container in the fridge for about a week.

Herbed fresh cheese

Add 2 tbsp finely chopped basil, 1 tbsp chopped chives and 1 tsp finely chopped rosemary.

Sweet fresh cheese

For a sweet dessert plate, add 2 tbsp honey or icing sugar and 1 tbsp cardamom or cinnamon. Stir thoroughly to combine. When ready to serve, divide between 6 plates and garnish each plate with 2 fresh dates, pear slices and a drizzle of honey. (Think I might try this with our figs when they ripen.)

This is one of Annabel Langbeins recipes She calls herself "The Free Range Cook" and lives in New Zealand. Her website has many lovely recipes.

Views: 311

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Will be a bit tricky with cream cheese. Do I make it into little balls or just immerse it whole as Jodi seems to indicate? It's very soft.

BTW since you got me into cheese making Andy I've taken to buying Olive Oil in very large amounts lol.

LOL. Yeah, me too!  

If it is soft, you'd be better off putting it in a air-tight container in the fridge to be honest.  Cream cheese isn't really made to store.  Maybe you could not salt the curd directly, but brine it and then dry it to try to get a bit of a rind on the outside?  The best option would probably be to vacumn seal it.  (When I get rich, I'm gunna buy me a vacumn sealer.)

Keep your eye on the Aldi catalogue, they've been on special a few times. Homeart could have them too, they have a dandy dehydrator for $40 so you never know.

Homeart dehydrator is great, that's what I use.

Deals Direct were selling them cheap the other day also.

Even very soft cheese can be immersed in olive oil.  Just when you spread it, there will obviously be olive oil mixed in with it and as you use it up, it will get more and more soupy.  The dregs make a delicious salad dressing.

Another trick, if firm enough, is to roll it up in tin foil.  For some reason the foil prevents mold growths from proliferating quite like they do when wrapped in plastic.

Good ideas Jodi. Thank you :) I'll make some more soft cheese in the next day or two and might try the olive oil I think.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service