Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

From Lainie P - This site sells silkworms.

EVERYTHING SILKWORMS

Views: 164

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Every kid in my primary school reared these little critters. No one knew how to release the silk from the capsules. In many ways the little animal's lives were in vain as a passing fad and no new generations to follow.

My Dad made me a tiny silk roller....for a better word. A little thing with a handle to roll the silk up. He was exceptional though.

Did you recover some silk? No one I know ever did.

Sure did. We used to have little skeins of beautiful yellow silk. Lord knows what happened to them in the end. Probably thrown out by my Mum.

Very similar story to yours Lissa, and I 'd guess that mine are still pressed in a book ... 

The cocoon would be placed in a cup of water, evidentially us kids would find the main thread that would keep it spinning for quite some time, and eventually, you'd get the brown pupae/shell.

From memory, most of the moths would still emerge later on.

I'm pretty sure we managed a few generations. We probably had enough silk for a small handkerchief by the end, except I think the thread gets broken when the moths hatch.

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service