From PIP MAGAZINE:

Ingredients

olive oil for frying
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
2 cups of chopped tomatoes
2 cups of chopped eggplant (or 3 cups tomato, 1 cup capsicum)
salt and pepper
4-5 eggs
fresh green herbs to garnish

Instructions

Heat olive oil in a pan and saute the chopped onion for a few minutes. Add garlic, cumin, paprika, chopped tomato, eggplant and/or capsicum and allow to simmer 10-15 minutes until it has reduced a little. Add salt and pepper to taste. Crack eggs on top and cover the pan. Cook until your eggs are just how you like them. Garnish with fresh greens and enjoy!

Views: 65

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a Saudi dish.  It is very nice. 

I think it is more general in the Arab world than Saudi Arabia as it is often referred to as North African in origin or from Yemen-- but often called Shakshuka.all over the Middle East and adapted later by Spanish cooks (LINK).

A variation is to use small spiced meatballs (kofta) instead of eggs; or combine poached meatballs with the poached eggs.This makes a Moroccan Tagine called Kefta Mkaouara.(LINK)

I see where Tunisian cooks add artichoke hearts, potatoes and broad beans to the dish.

It is very rich but sure makes a great excuse to eat rice.

PS: Easy to make by the way.

I was introduced to it by my Saudi students.  I've now learned quite a few saudi/middle eastern dishes and they are all really good.  My Rozie also has a Persian background, so I'm happy to say we can get quite middle eastern at the dinner table. 

The amazing thing about ME cuisine  is that (a) regional dishes are embraced as an assertion of regional culture ; and (b)  the great cookbooks of the Middle Ages record so many recipes and log their origins. Nonetheless many spots claim a dish as theirs when maybe that's not so.

Shakshuka is very popular in Israel but it is obviously something taken from the Palestinians and added to the traditional Jewish  menu.Indeed ME tucker is a lot of borrowing from hither and yon ..and you still get regional differences!

In Turkey the range of localized dishes is amazing...and while the Greeks have their food preferences you can still read the Ottoman influence in their menu after years of occupation.

Check out the work of Claudia Roden. Her's may be recipes but she packs them with heaps of anthropology and history.

Now there's a writer who changed my life!

I make a similar dish but add a can of baked beans for protein - have no idea where I got the idea from, must be something from a long time ago or just taste buds evolved over the years.

Baked Beans are a good substitute for meat as are Mushrooms.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Organic Farm Share

Ads by Google

© 2017   Created by Farina Murray.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service