Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

I'm on the northside of Brisbane, and have some excess Purple Tomatillo seedlings. I'm interested in finding anyone who's up for an exchange. I drive up to the Sunshine and down to the Gold coast quite regularly so can easily do a roadside plant swap if needed, but would always prefer somewhere closer to home (Warner) 

I've also got some San Marzano and Yellow Currant tomatoes on their way and a bunch of chilli seedlings which could be up for grabs too.

I love chilli and am currantly growing Serrano, Poblano, Jalapeno, Pimenta de Neyde, Berbere Brown and Mirasol. I'm after chilli's from South America usually - Aji Amarillo, Bahamian Goat, cool Habanero's etc but open to anything. Actually I'm open to swapping anything edible. Just wanting to share a bit of love and see what's around.

We love proper Mexican food and it's hard to find the right ingredients over here, so we decided to try and grow them. A Tomatillo is similar to a tomato, but a little more sweet and acidic & less bitter. See another discussion here. You can make sauces (for Enchilida's, Taco's, Mole's etc) or you can eat them fresh in salsa's. A good all-rounder, they're prolific growers BUT you need more than one plant to pollinate, so we'd be giving away 2/3/4 lot bundles. Here's a couple of pics of them...

Views: 621

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I seem to have had the adults on a Cape Gooseberry and then the larvae turned up later on the Tomatillo. Googling blister beetles and there is a confusing amoung of information out there and so many varieties.

Found my plants this afternoon Fisher, thank you :) Sorry I missed you. What type of tom is that?

Incredibly healthy looking. What are you feeding your seedlings to get them so good looking?

Hey no worries Lissa, it was a drop-and-run affair :)

That's a San Marzano tomato, when grown up should look like this:

Try and bury it if you can; snip off the bottom side-shoots so you end up with a bare stem about 6 inches and plant it deep so that the soil comes up to about 2 inches below the bottom set of shoots. (or check out http://bonnieplants.com/library/plant-tomatoes-deep-deep-deep/ for an example) All those little hairs you see on the stem turn into roots which means a bigger/stronger plant later on.

Those shoots you cut off can be stuck into the shade, in a small pot of really wet soil and you'll have new plants in a few weeks, just keep them well watered and bring them out into the sun after 2 weeks.

Note you can do the same with the Tomatillo's as well - it's a good way of turning one plant into another 3 or 4 when you pot-up.

I've been spraying the foliage with Charlie Carp/liquid fish fertiliser every 2 weeks and on alternate weeks I pour about 1/2 cup of diluted Seasol into the soil of all the plants. Seems to work so far, but we're not in peak insect season so I'm not getting my hopes up yet plus we've had some OK days with the sun which helps :)

My plan has been to get everything settled in for the 2-week winter so that when Spring rolls around, we've got a good start on things in preparation for fruiting and insects.

Let me know if you have any questions or problems. I'll most likely be dropping off some other random bits and pieces as they come through :)

Lovely. A bit like a roma which are my favourite toms.

I've put your nice new pots out just inside the front gate if you are going past.

I'll keep the cutting thought in mind - I've already planted them out (I mounded the compost up a little higher around the already planted plant). I've made new plants that way before with success. These are very healthy so you're doing a great job.

Wow these are the tomatoes that are grown in the volcanic soils next to mount versuvious! I saw it on Hestons in search if perfection and they are supposedly the best tomatoes to use for Pizza. Makes sense being so close to Naples. Really fleshy, not much juice apparently.

Do you have any left? I've got a few interesting things popping up in the garden that I can swap for.

@Craig - I'll have a few more in a couple of weeks. Whatcha got growing over there and where abouts are you? :)

@Lissa - Yep like a Roma but a little bigger. The yanks call them a "paste" tomato, they have a small amount of seeds/liquid gooey stuff and more flesh. First lot I grew (from Bunnings eeek!) tasted alright fresh and cooked but a lot of people say they're only good cooked. These new seedlings (the one you have now) are all from a verified Italian source, none of that Bunnings crap, so hopefully they're even better.

Now...if only I could find some volcanic soil to replicate the soil around Naples :)

I'm 5 mins away at Eatons Hill.

I've had a few artichoke seedlings pop up which is interesting. Yellow watermelon has come up from seeds i planted in Janurary.... Bizarre!

Plus the usual winter stuff like radish, beets, cavalo Nero, carrots, garlic, swede, broccoli etc.

Everything is in the ground, planted from seed start of April. I have plenty of seeds too.

Craig - are you able to tell me the varieties you have of beetroot, carrot, garlic and radish?

I'd lean towards the seeds of these, I don't want to dig up your winter crop ;)

They are all diggers mixed heirloom varieties.

Radish doesn't specify but I've previously got huge daikon and smaller coloured types.

Beets are yellow, purple, white and chioggia.

Carrots are purple, white, yellow and orange.

Garlic is all in the ground.

The Radish, Beets and Carrots all sound good to me.

So the baby Marzano's a maybe a couple of weeks away, what if I drop you a message when they're good to go? How does 3 of them sound?

Also are you interested in some Tomatillo's? I've got loads that are getting too big for their pots and are flowering like crazy. They're "hot to trot" if you know what I mean :)

Sounds like a deal. I'll give the tomatillos another go, they are tasty and I need to do some research on organic pest control. It's a bit of an open garden for pests at the moment and I'm getting increasingly annoyed at the attacks!

I'll have to make sure I save some seed from these. They're planted in the front yard away from my other toms.

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service