Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Wondering if anyone has any experience with a garden size trommel? Looking at building one, would rather borrow one though ;) look fwd to your comments!

Views: 305

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't compost...least not consciously or aerobically. I rot down. It's the lazy-gardener-me....a lot of stuff I pass through the back end of a chook.

Composting may cook weed seeds and is a quick way to foster the microbia but I gather it isn't a guaranteed way to do all that..especially on the fly in one's back yard.

So I take the easy route and bury and mulch. 

However, If I was to compost -- if I was -- which I won't -- I'd use a compost roller which they use at Northey Street.

That is similar to trommeling I guess.

Since I may seem to be somewhat rigid, I thought I'd check myself out and ask the web the question: 'Why compost?

While I think it is the gardener's version of shovelling snow --after searching,  I couldn't find a single reason to start composting. I can tick most of the boxes without busting a gut. 

I can't 'cook' weed seeds or kill nasty bugs -- but it has to be a very scientifically moderated aerobic composting system that can do that. You'd need to take its temperature regularly for instance and turn it religiously.In the end you'd get the product you engineered per the greens and browns thingy.

...and it's quick, albeit labour intense.

But is it a gardening essential? 

RSS

Support Brisbane Local Food

Please support our Brisbane Local Food community.  Donations can be made directly to Andy's paypal account.  These are in Australian dollars.  Donations of $5 and above will be gratefully received and used only to pay for BLF web-hosting.  A donation of $25 will pay to host the site for a calendar month!

Donate to BLF on this link

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

© 2019   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service