Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

RICHGRO All Purpose Organic Compost for domestic use:any thioughts?

I'm not anti-compost. I think the stuff has a place in any garden. But the effort and the time invested in making the stuff sours any enthusiasm I may have for it. After all you need to compost a lot of matter to fill a bucket.

I also recognize that industrial scale compost production is much more efficient --and safer -- than home based efforts.

So I've bought a few bags of Richgro 25L All Purpose Organic Compost for domestic use. From Bunnings the bag sells for $3.95. LINK.

It seems to work OK-as I use it in a seed raising mix.

Notes point out that it is a blend of natural organic materials and mineral material -- in the form of 'fertilizer additives 'of less than 10%.

Compared to seed raising mixes I can get a lot of bang for my buck -- by adding sand and coir peat -- out of this $3.95.

Any thoughts on the product?

Views: 84

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If it were available locally to me (and it might well be) I'd be using it. Currently on top of the never-enough home compost, I use Searle's Real Compost. Not having done any side-by-side trials I do not know if the stuff is of any use at all but it is organic matter and that is what I am always short of. If it works as a seed-raising mix then it will work for sprouts/micro-greens but whether it has enough nutrients to long-term sustain mature plants eg Tomatoes, who knows? I'm keen to hear what others have found.

Compost production can be used to process toxic waste a company at Yatala  was where the local council took there landfill leachate .

Tim Flannery's report on Seaweed sounds as though seaweed/s can be used like that too. Was on ABCTV a night or two ago, forget name of programme.

Catalyst. Duh.

As I say, industrial composting is much safer than home based exercises. Here's the lowdown on this product:

Compared to what I may get up to-- and the effort I may engage in -- I'm thinking a 25 litre bag for around $4 is darn goods value.

Erm, Jandakot is in Western Australia. Hauling stuff across the continent is not as environmentally friendly as the compost. So for $4 retail I do wonder what is in it as everyone at every step of the journey makes a profit on each bag.

That's why I stick with Searle's when I can get it - my local outlet is closed now so I don't know what I am likely to get next. Searle's are at Kilcoy, used to be in Caloundra industrial area and as close as it gets for garden products with the exception of Organic Xtra which is made in the Narangba industrial area. We get the full benefit of the pong if the weather conditions are right (or wrong ;-).

Not sure what safety aspect you are concerned about Dave. If you don't put in meat or dairy there should be no untoward smells and if the heaps are confined there should be no rodents.

There's some division of opinion on what 'fully composted' means. The Biodynamic people think it's soft brown fluffy stuff not looking like its origins. I note the 'compost' as shown on Gardening Australia which is often dry and looking nothing like I expect compost to look.

The huge steaming windrows I see on TV may very well be compost of some sort. Not sure if compost made in a week or two has all the attributes you'd want. I think of it like bread: the slow sourdough loaf made over a day or two or the quick-fix supermarket stuff made in 1 hour from dough to wrapping. Something's gotta give and I don't know what that is.

RSS

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Organic Farm Share

Ads by Google

© 2017   Created by Farina Murray.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service