Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

I follow a blog called HIGH WATER of a young gardener, Rod, who owns a property on Lamb Island. Rod re-posted this on his site - I found the bit about mushrooms particularly interesting.

Views: 385

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yep thats exactly what I do Elaine,take off a few of them lower leaves and then plant.I have lost none of mine either and yes I also wonder how they put up with that full sun in the commercial operations considering how they grow so well in the shady areas.

Thanks Elaine, will wait and see when the stem bends.  I do plant the same as you straight into the ground.  At the moment most of mine are getting shade - I have them planted adhoc in the garden

Hi everyone Im growing this one in a ten inch pot,its under plenty of shade and as you can see has a pineapple on top

we have very many pineapples grown from tops just put in the ground full sun - never lost one ( even had to be planted a couple of times when hares nibbled them but thye have always come back   - first ones planted 18 months ago - have two with fruit - - fruit is ripe whn you can easily pull a leaf from the top of the fruit - or smell them - the sweeter the riper ! 

Mine were  all grown on the western side of the house. Mostly in the front garden which was very hot, receiving water once a week unless it rained. They all fruited one by one.

Awesome Darren!

Thanks Mary-Ann.  When buying them at the markets that is how I check for ripeness, I thought it might be different when picking from the plant.

Pineapple heads must be one of the easiest things to grow - did anyone read about the mushroom stems re-growing? Anyone tried that? Now that's fascinating if it can be done.

On my to do list for 2017 :)

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service