Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

I love quinces and they only have a short season (right now down in the cool southern states) I am hoping someone knows where I can purchase them here in sunny Brisbane so I can bake some ruby slices for desserts and make quince paste to enliven a cheese platter.

I planted a native quince last year and am hoping to see some fruit from it eventually, nothing at the moment as it has struggled, it died right down in the dry (thought I'd lost it) but since the last rain it is bushing up so there is hope.

Thanks in anticipation ...

Views: 2107

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The simplest way to cook quinces is:
In a saucepan dissolve a cup of castor sugar in a cup of warm water, add a couple of peeled quartered and cored quinces and simmer, partly covered for an hour or two till tender and rosy.
If they haven't changed colour while cooking just set them aside still swimming iin the poaching liquid and they will.

Honey Quinces
4 quinces peeled
2litres water
5 cups sugar
1/2 cup honey
3 pieces lemon zest

Place whole peeled quinces in large saucepan.
Pour over the remaining ingredients and cover.
Simmer with the saucepan lid just ajar for 3 hours, or until the fruit is ruby coloured and tender.
You will have a lot of thin syrup, once I've removed the fruit I reduce the liquid to a honey consistency.

Serve the fruit warm or cold
with pancakes
with thick cream and a drizzle of the honey syrup.
As a side with roasted duck
Try icecream merely drizzled with the honey syrup

Make quince galettes
Sprinkle squares of puff pastry with ground almonds
Top with sliced quince
Drizzle a little honey syrup over
Bake in hot oven until pastry is puffed and golden.

Quince Paste
2kg ripe quinces (no green tinge, warm aroma)
250gm sugar to every 500g purée
Castor sugar

Peel the quinces and cut into small pieces
Put chopped quinces into a saucepan and add a little water, about half the depth of the fruit.
Cover and cook till very soft, then sieve.
Weigh the purée
Add the correct amount of sugar, stir in and cook over low heat till thick.

Pour into shallow dish, leave to dry in warm area for 2 days, turn upside down and leave to dry for another 2 days.
Or (what I do)
line a tray with baking paper, pour in the mixture, place in fan forced oven at 50C-100C overnight, the next day when you can see that the top is reasonably set then
line another tray with baking paper and turn the mixture upside down into the new tray then back into the oven till you are happy with the consistency.

You can now sift castor sugar thickly over it and cut it into small squares and store in a box layered with grease proof paper.
I just cut it into squares and wrap individual pieces in cling wrap and store in.fridge.
Quince paste is a great combination with cheeses. I like it with a strong aged cheddar or a pungent blue cheese.
After cooking meat in a frypan, deglaze with some wine or stock and add some quince paste, allow to simmer till thickened. Serve over the cooked meat as a rich glaze.
Place a tablespoon of paste and sprig of thyme in the cavity of a quail, bake for 30min. Serve with pan juices.

I've put your recipe into Recipes Susanne - let me know if you would prefer to do it yourself :)

Thanks Lissa :)

Thanks Susanne !

Found some today at Lawnton Country Mkts Susanne, for $4.99kg. I bought one...not sure if one is any use but I was curious never having seen one before.

Don't try to eat it uncooked, it is not palatable.
Also be aware that it appears to be hard but it bruises easily. The fruit merchant on Sandgate Rd at Clayfield had many bruised fruit from bad handling, he was selling them at $2 each which worked out around $5 kg for the large fruit.
The easiest way to cook it is to make a sugar syrup, recommendations are 1 sugar to 1 water (I only ever use half the sugar) immerse your quartered and cored or whole peeled fruit and slow cook till soft and rosy. Yes the opaque bland colour will change to clear rose.
You can also pop them covered in a very slow oven overnight. Cinnamon sticks, cloves, lemon rind all can be used to give a hint of difference.
First off I'd not add anything as the flavour is subtle and best tried unadulterated.

Thanks Susanne. I'll try one of your suggestions. I did wonder if I cut add cut pieces to the baked rice custard I'm making?

These are quite big fruit - about a handful each.

I've only ever cooked them by themselves whole or quartered, over a low heat slowly.

They are certainly soft and edible well before they start to change colour so you could give it a go.

You could try very thin slivers but the fruit is hard to cut raw.

When raw I've only cut the fruit into quarters or eighths.

Thinking aloud I've never tried grating or cutting rounds from the outside of the whole fruit, I feel it may still tend to 'splinter' but maybe give that a go and tell us how you manage.

Too late this time - custard is cooked :)

I think I need to get to know the fruit from scratch before I start doing anything random with them. I'll cook this one as you suggest above.

Coco's at Buranda have them this week 12/6  - they are ripe and $4.99 kg - which is a good price. I get mine usually from a friend in Stanthorpe, and make jams, poached and jelly!

Hi Susane,

I bought some quinces a few days ago : 18/6/13  from Milton Fruit Bowl at 12 Baroona Rd Milton Shopping Village.

http://www.miltonfruitbowl.com.au/ 

I cooked them in a sugar syrup with vanilla bean .

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service