Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Check this link to a free e version of a 1940s book written by Maye E Bruce. Astonishing results in the production of humus from a Biodynamic-like compost activator. Just started on it so cannot comment, but it really is worth a read.

http://www.journeytoforever.org/farm_library/QR/QRToC.html

Photos are of the author at her desk and with her compost.

Happy composting -

Elaine

Views: 318

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the link Elaine ~

I have comfrey, and have taught my mum to slash them and soak them in a bucket with lid to make liquid manure, she's been able to get at least 2 or 3 cuttings from one small patch of comfrey during summer ~ Although I think she didn't follow all my instructions and don't stir it while brewing or dilute it enough when using it ~

I've bought a packet of Yarrow seeds from ebay with the comfrey root cuttings, but they didn't seem to germinate, until I waited too long to tipped out the soil from the seed tray ... some feathery leafed plants grew at that spot and I think they could be yarrow... I will take a picture on the weekend and upload it, so someone more knowledgeble can tell me whether they are yarrow or not...

I don't know about elderflower.. google images looks nice, are they a shrub?
Hi Florence ... Yarrow are indeed the owners of feather leaves - on a rhizome, leaves look as though they are standing up direct from the soil. I found several Yarrow plants at Bunnings and bought my original one at a general nursery several years ago so they are not hard to find usually.

Elder - eek - now here is a weed-in-the-making. It suckers freely, it is a small tree or mine was until I figured it was going to take over the yard and chopped it down instead.

Comfrey tea - yecch. I'm not sure stirring would help much. It is given to clumping and rotting and stinking from the anaerobic bacteria. It's great stuff if you can stand the smell. I made mine in a 10L drum with a gauze lid and it still stank, air or no air - but not enough air apparently.

Elaine
I think it is BD that recommend everything has as much air as possible incorporated, Anthony recommends using a fish tank pump to aerate brews.
My comfrey grew better in Sydney than here, but still grows here OK. Comfrey doesn't spread in the way mint does - its big danger is if you disturb the roots, as any piece of root grows. So if you dig it up, you can end up with it spreading everywhere - very, very hard to get rid of.

I used make the tea in a big garbage bin but I'm with Elaine on that - it really stank. I've been wondering if aerating through flowforms or something might work.

The other thing I used do is pile up the comfrey leaves, run over with the lawnmower, and empty the catcher into the compost - quite an amazing activator and doesn't take very long at all..
Comfrey would probably do better in a cooler climate, I've never looked into it but I guess that it came from Europe. The recommendation for Briz is that it will do well in part sun - mine is on the south-east side of the house, and only gets sun to around 10am then the trees shade it.

It sure does grow from little bits - that's a blessing or a blight, depending on what you want!

Flow-forms - well if you have some, they would be ideal. They do a good job with liquid manure and BD preps. Have you got some or can you make some? Wouldn't mind some flow forms I could actually afford! The commercial ones are worth a king's ransom.

Your interim measure of mowing and composting the comfrey sounds like a very good idea. I just tear it up in small bundles and put it into the compost - it disappears very quickly and unless you've got heaps of the stuff, you could save yourself the petrol and just use your hands or hedge clippers in a barrow.
No, I don't have flowforms unfortunately - and yes, they are expensive.
This is interesting - a "garbage enzyme" developed in Thailand:
http://www.o3enzyme.com/enzymeproduction.htm
Attachments:

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service