Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

I wanted to start a place where we could share recipes for quail.  Then I figured that chicken would be much the same.  I know a brave soul who also keeps pigeon so those recipes would fit in here too, along with duck etc.  I will assume it will mostly be the smaller birds who lack personality. 

Views: 69

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll start with a video showing steamed garlic and ginger Cantonese quail.  I intend to adapt this to can my quail. I'm reasonably confident that it will work well. 

Cantonese garlic and ginger quail

I am all feathers! I am mulling over the prospect of raising quail for slaughter. So get my gastronomical juices flowing you'all.

Steamed quail: hubber hubber!

I preserved some limes from Mark at Eatons Hill using a salt and vinegar Indian recipe spiced up with a bit of chilli.  I found a very interesting roast Quail with preserved lemon recipe that I'll try with my limes.  If it works, I'll post it.  

Steamed Quail With Ginger And Garlic 鵪鶉

6 whole quail

12 cloves garlic

3 to 4 tablespoons sliced ginger

1 teaspoon salt

1 chicken stock cube

1 teaspoon brown sugar

1 teaspoon sesame oil

2 teaspoons light soy sauce

1 tablespoon Chinese oyster sauce

1 to 2 teaspoon Shaoxing wine

1/2 cup chopped green onions

Method:

Rub salt on the surface of each quail. Rinse with cold water.

Put quail into a large, deep sided bowl.

To make marinade, add the following ingredients into a mixing bowl. Add salt, chicken soup base, sugar, sesame oil, light soy sauce, Chinese oyster sauce and Shaoxing wine. Mix well and spread the marinade over the quail. Add the ginger slices and garlic.

In a pan, bring the water to a boil. Put the dish of quail in the pan and cover with a cover. Steam for 30 minutes or more until quail are cooked all the way through. Sprinkle chopped green onions over the quail. Cover with lid and steam final 10 minutes. Enjoy!

Salt and pepper quail.

1 cup brown rice flour

1 tbsp salt

1 tbsp sichuan pepper

1 tbsp chinese five spice

Cut quail in half.

Mix the flour and spice together.

Roll quail in flour mix then dunk in an egg wash then reroll in the flour.

Pop in the deep fryer for 4 minutes.

Thanks mate 

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service