Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Hello,

Somewhere, sometime ago, I posted a bit about Pumpkins and how they flower. Well true to form, Clark has covered his face with egg AGAIN.

I related how (in my experience), when you plant Pumpkins they always put out only male flowers initially, and after a period of time they produce both male and female, then after they have set fruit they eventually only produce female flowers.

My theory was that if you could keep the plants going over winter, then you could get male and female flowers on the plants much earlier in Spring. Which would obviously mean a much earlier crop.

So I have kept my pumpkins going in a sunny spot over winter and they are growing very well after the good rain we've had this winter. Trouble is they are not cooperating at all and are producing only female flowers. They are setting loads of little pumpkins and grow until the flower has fallen off, and they (in their unpollinated state) also dry up and fall off.  Not a male flower to be seen anywhere!

I have now planted out more pumpkin seed and if they run true to previous form these will start by producing male flowers, but by the time this happens will the over wintered vines have stopped producing female flowers?

Luckily, I still have couple of pumpkins from the end of summer to keep us fed for a while (to go with the egg).

Views: 110

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you can find some one with male flowers can cut off and bring home to hand pollinate .

Plants do weird things, just when you think you've got them figured! All is not lost though. You can eat the little embryo fruits. Just like Zucchini only sweeter (or like Tromboncino). Might as well feast on the plant while the seeds are coming up.

I had the same thing from the vine left from last summer. Loads of female, but now I do have more males as it's gotten warmer and 1 pumpkin that has taken form. Hopefully you'll get some happy pumpkins soon

we must be that much warmer here - we have been harvesting pumpkins all winter and still there are several on the vines and many more new ones coming on - the vines are 12 months old and show no sign of lowing down. Mind you the queensland blues were awful this year - went rotten soon after being picked so they were duck food the Kents Japs and a small brown one are what we grow - tried butternut but cant get  them growing ! just checked very healthy male and female flowers here !!!! 

Qld Blues are usually so tough ... do you place something impervious to damp under each fruit? I find it helps to keep the skins from rotting. A piece of styrene, wood, brick, tile all are good. Small brown Pumpkin ... so many Pumpkins to choose from! A pic would be wonderful, might even be able to ID it. Tho they do cross-pollinate with gay abandon. Grew some cross Kent-Butternut, odd shapes tasted fine and after 1 generation did not produce any seeds.

yes it must be a cross of something  - this is one days pickings - we keep them up off the fround on a wire shelf ... every other year our blues lasted up to 6 months stored like that ! actually the little brown ones are the tastiest and have the soft skin - dont need an axe to cut it - we gave 30kilos to the local show kitchen for use and everyone loved them ! 

Fabulous! They are a mixed bag but that's half the fun of growing plants who are so enthusiastic about hybridising. Never a dull moment! Is that a New Guinea bean in front?

Incredible mixed haul Mary-Ann.

Like Susan I don't grow pumpkins inside my small yard anymore as they take up too much space. But then unlike Susan I don't have a nice chunk of parkland next door to "borrow"! 

Wow!! Mary - Anne, that many pumpkins are amazing!! I no longer grow pumpkins inside the yard. - my yard is too small to give up the amount of space even though I love home grown pumpkins. I'm trying them this year down the outside of my side fence. I don't know if I'll get any off it - it's my trial to see if people will leave things alone when growing outside my yard.

ours grow everywhere - on a steep slope that isnt good for garden beds and in the food forest and some in the orchard 

RSS

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Organic Farm Share

Ads by Google

© 2017   Created by Farina Murray.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service