Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

I planted out some 'desiree' seed potatoes ten weeks ago.  They've grown well - I mulched them to about 40cm using sugar cane mulch and horse manure (and some blood and bone occasionally).  They flowered a couple of weeks ago, and the flowers (from first batch) have finished now.  I had a dig around in the mulch to see if there were any potatoes growing, but alas, none!  There do seem to be some under intial soil layer though (which was about 15cm).   From what I can see through the mulch, it's just stem in there. Is this normal? 

Views: 1883

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Possibly it has Lissa ... the Bunnings at Rothwell had sprouting seed potatoes a couple of weeks ago but I haven't been back since. It's still only July, though ... grab whatever you can find with developing eyes and pop them in a sunny spot and await results. It is 'pot luck' with potatoes in this area and if you find a variety which does well, keep going with them and begin to select for the characteristics you need. However much we might like to grow purple ones or even ones with pink spots ;-), we really do need to grow the varieties which do well on their own here, however boring that might be.
yes :(
I like the really mad ones too, but they just don't do well up here
Well... I went bandicooting today and got me some SPUDS!! Pic attached.
Attachments:
:)
nice pic

The grow bags for potatoes still haven't turned up (with Raspberry Canes) from Garden Express anyway - it's been about 6 weeks since I ordered and paid for them. Same with the dwarf Macca from Kendalls - paid 6 weeks back. Nice enough people both, but their communication is shocking and delivery time awful.

I've thrown sprouting spuds into the garden before - they often send up some leaves and then disappear. What about these "new" potatoes that I have - the nice little ones. Would they do the job?
If they have eyes developing now I'd give them a whirl.
Oh, and nice pic Scarlett :)

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service