Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

This plant is one recommended during a garden training day with Elizabeth Fekonia a couple of weeks back. I would like to get hold of some if anyone eventually has any to spare:

More info:

It is grown from cuttings of the stalks. In fertile soil, cut plants
will re-shoot from the base. The cuttings need adequate moisture at
planting. Cuttings about 30 cm long are used. To avoid cuttings
drying out they need to be planted soon after cutting.

Coastal pitpit stalks can be planted at any time of the year. It
takes 6-9 months from planting till a crop is ready to harvest. But
the time of flowering is coastal pitpit is controlled by the sun.
Early in the year about February to March most plants develop a
thickened clump of leaves at the top. When these are broken off and
opened by removing the outside leaves the very fine yellow unopened
flower is seen. It is this flower which is eaten.

Edible Saccharums
Saccharum barberi Jeswiet Indian cane
Saccharum edule Hasskarl Long pitpit
Saccharum officinarum L. Sugarcane, Noble canes
Saccharum robustum Jeswict.
Saccharum sinense Roxb.
Saccharum spontaneum L. Wild pitpit

There seems to be a link to sugar cane smut problems in Qld (it's a cane relative) so I'm making some enquiries as to restrictions and maybe sources for purchase.

Ready to give up on the Pitpit plant. Plants are preparing to flower again, which is the cue to crop. The only edible bit I can find is about 3cm long between the nodes below the flowering bit. Not enough reward for growing these big clumps all year long.

Views: 3677

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here is a good write up about planting  Duruka/Pit pit

I grew up in Fiji and loved eating this delicacy

Well that's something I'd never even heard of. 

I liked the small amount I managed to crop from the plants I had growing Bridget but I found there was little crop for the plants I had. If I remember (years back now) I could only crop once, maybe twice, per year. Just not worth it for the space it took up. Lots of processing needed to achieve the small edible bit.

If you grow it yourself I would love to see pics of it growing and what you end up cropping. Might stir me up to give it another go.

I love this delicacy and havent eaten it for over 35 years since I moved from Fiji. I have two little stalks to make so will do that. Taken me this long to find the plant to grow. 

Yandina Community Garden (short drive up the coast) used to stock it. Might be worth contacting them?

ok one day when I am up that way I will do that, at the moment a long way for me as I live in the Southern Moreton Bay Islands

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service