Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

This plant is one recommended during a garden training day with Elizabeth Fekonia a couple of weeks back. I would like to get hold of some if anyone eventually has any to spare:

More info:

It is grown from cuttings of the stalks. In fertile soil, cut plants
will re-shoot from the base. The cuttings need adequate moisture at
planting. Cuttings about 30 cm long are used. To avoid cuttings
drying out they need to be planted soon after cutting.

Coastal pitpit stalks can be planted at any time of the year. It
takes 6-9 months from planting till a crop is ready to harvest. But
the time of flowering is coastal pitpit is controlled by the sun.
Early in the year about February to March most plants develop a
thickened clump of leaves at the top. When these are broken off and
opened by removing the outside leaves the very fine yellow unopened
flower is seen. It is this flower which is eaten.

Edible Saccharums
Saccharum barberi Jeswiet Indian cane
Saccharum edule Hasskarl Long pitpit
Saccharum officinarum L. Sugarcane, Noble canes
Saccharum robustum Jeswict.
Saccharum sinense Roxb.
Saccharum spontaneum L. Wild pitpit

There seems to be a link to sugar cane smut problems in Qld (it's a cane relative) so I'm making some enquiries as to restrictions and maybe sources for purchase.

Ready to give up on the Pitpit plant. Plants are preparing to flower again, which is the cue to crop. The only edible bit I can find is about 3cm long between the nodes below the flowering bit. Not enough reward for growing these big clumps all year long.

Views: 3659

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Lissa, I'd love the one with four plants if I can pick it up either at Roma St or your GV in Jan?
I'll take a couple of plants and will pick them up at your GV since I'll have the car for that. Fabulous, eh? What great plants we're all discovering!
Thanks ladies. It made such a pretty display at the community gardens. Very attractive little plant once it gets into a clump and edible is the bonus :)

Have been cropping and cooking some of my Pit Pit stems.

I steamed some but they need extra time compared to regular veg. Crunchy. Make sure you cut fresh thick stems. Some people recommended that I peel them after cooking, and some before. I took the before option.

I also baked some - not a good idea :S dry and nasty.

Then I added some to a chicken casserole, cut into small portions, and these came out very pleasant if a little crunchy.

Great! When my plants finally get into the ground ...
Perhaps a bigger pot would do the trick Elaine?
Maybe except that there's a stack of plants waiting patiently on the back verandah to be put into their real homes, if I start re-potting they'll never get planted.
Great, thanks for the update Lissa - I'll have to go find mine as they probably are buried under pumpkin vines or at least I'd have to wade through the 'itchy' (David's word) plants to get to them lol.

Hi

My mother and I were born in PNG. We have been trying to get hold of Pit Pit for years. We live in the southside of Brisbane. Any ideas of where we can find Pit PIt?

Michele, I have some potted that you are welcome to. I work at Mt Gravatt, is that any use for picking up? Let me know and I'll take a pot to work with me.

It grew like a weed and I pulled up great chunks and composted it at the end of summer - I still have one or two clumps left but didn't find it all that useful to warrant devoting great patches to it. Maybe you can give some pointers on it's uses?

That is very exciting! Thank you. Sorry I haven't gotten back to you earlier...we've had a few health issues. My parents would love to pick up the pit pit. I'd love to give you something in return. My mum is into broms, I have a few heliconia...I am a teacher. I'm not sure how to make contact. Should I give you my mobile number?? Have a great week.

Morning Michele. I have sent you a PM with my work address for collecting the plant. If I am out the admin ladies can give it to you (very small office). There is a small amount of parking directly in front of the office off the busy street.

I would love a brom of any description - always room in the garden for a brom :)

Thanks

Lissa

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service