Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

RIVERFORD ORGANIC FARM ARTICLE Read the full article and watch the video.

Pesticides? You decide.

It is time to redress the balance on pesticides. For too long pesticide manufacturers have controlled the information and hence the debate; they pay for the research, select what is published, and have too loud a voice in legislation and too much influence over the direction food production has taken. We believe there is no ‘safe’ level of pesticide; they are designed to kill at very low doses. The debate shouldn’t be whether they are safe, but rather do they pose a risk which is acceptable given the benefits, and are there better alternatives.

“We were wrong; farming didn’t get that smart, it just found more sophisticated, powerful ways of being stupid”

Views: 26

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is a real worry, as a fruit or vegetable may look great but be full of insecticide. You just cannot tell by looking at the produce. I would love to be able to grow ALL my own produce but it is almost impossible to do. So unless anyone has a good supplier of organic produce nearby, we have to do the best we can. I love going to the Northey Street markets on a Sunday morning but as they are so far away, the cost and time involved make the journey an irregular one.

Even organic farmers who grow at say Gatton, are still limited to growing a limited range of produce so we are left to buy colder climate produce from the supermarkets and be unable to ensure what levels of pesticides we are taking in because of this.   

My body is missing my home grown organic produce though I have been lucky at each house so far, there is some available. I am having to buy more commercial grown produce and my skin is breaking out and I just don't feel as good.

Woolies these days have a selection of organic produce. Varies a lot but at least there is some to choose from. Time for those sprouts to be grown, Lissa!

RSS

Fresh Local Provisions: Fresh Food, Local and Online

About this site

Welcome to Brisbane Local Food (BLF)!

This site was created by Scarlett Patrick, to build capacity in the Brisbane  community for growing, buying, and living sustainably. Six years on, BLF is an important hub to promote, discuss, share and learn about local food growing, production, gardens, services and activities happening in our part of the world.

This site exists for you - make the most if it!

BLF is motivated by passion, not profit. We thank all volunteers and members who make this an active and inspiring space to be, as well as those individuals, organisations and groups working to make the future greener.

What is local?
The closer the better - but regional and global activities are important too.

Why local?
To reduce food miles, increase food freshness & security, improve social outcomes and reduce the unused outputs of our living environments - like stormwater and green waste.

Brisbane is a sub-tropical city in Queensland, Australia.

Organic Farm Share

Ads by Google

More Google ads

© 2017   Created by Farina Murray.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service