Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

It came as a surprise that here on BLF there a very few references to peanuts.

I'm on a peanut kick at the moment as I'm replacing a lot of other nuts I consume with them because they are a lot cheaper.

They go into my breakfast cereal; sustain my snacking bowl and get bathed  in high cocoa-quotient chocolate.

Locally grown raw peanuts are cheap. Available at supermarkets.

I roast them at home in the oven, then work my way through them under guise of any excuse.

Raw peanuts are also 'seeds' you can plant.  Despite being a productive legume with all the legume advantages -- no one has registered their keen use here in the home garden.

I've grown them on occasion, but  planting peanuts makes a lot of gardening sense.

Ground cover. Nitrogen fixer. Mulch maker. Fodder supply....

Any thoughts?

Views: 48

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes.  I use peanuts in my pesto - pine nuts are stupid expensive.  I make a (if I might say myself) delightful Thai peanut sauce from them.  Now... I tried to grow them in buckets.  Rookie mistake.  They send down runners from their branches upon which peanuts grow.  Buckets don't work well for that.  Mind you, I did get 3 new plants which I intend to put into the soil of the patch.  I predict success.  And, if I leave some nuts there, ever lasting love.  How good is that? 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2019   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service