Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Has anyone successfully bred Pacific Blue Eyes and if so could you please provide a few hints and tips to get me started.

Views: 1347

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tricky to breed from what I hear. Each coastal river has a different population of Blue Eyes and some are more or less hardy than others. The real experts know the difference. What I have found out is that they must have moving water at all times and are not particularly cold hardy.

We have Pacific Blue Eyes in our pond, and they do breed there with no intervention from us. Our pond does not have have a water feature, so there is no resemblance of running water. They survive all year round in our outdoor unheated pond.

That's great news Elizabeth! I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens :-) 

Most certainly easy fish to breed. All you would need is about 10 to get you started, including 2 males. They are egg scatterers, so their eggs are adhesive, the females swim through "spawning mops" releasing their eggs which adhere to the mop - ideally thickets of natural aquatic plant - then the males will swim through and fertilize the eggs. So the more plant surface area, the more spawning success, alongside the extra plant material will provide infusoria to feed the you g, and structure in which to hide in. :) Fishes metablism is increaased with temp so breeding will increase in summer. Particularly after a good water change / rainfall event if they get plenty of live foods (larvae) the extra protien will especially enhance them to spawn. hope that helps. :)

Certainly made me very optimistic about a breeding success, thanks! Maybe I can play some romantic music to help things along hehehe...

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service