Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

The November issue of Green Journey Community News is online and for those of you not familiar with this website and newsletter, it is a free community resource to help people live more sustainably.  The content is tailored specifically to our region (Brisbane/Sunshine Coast) and you can find information on different groups, permaculture, transition towns, community gardens, school gardens, environment movies & media and much more all in the one place. It's a hub that joins the dots between all these different topics.

You can find a comprehensive list of upcoming workshops and courses (many are free), environment/food/garden events and lots of inspiring stories of people trying to grow their own food and live a more sustainable lifestyle.  The latest inspiring story is about Dee & Ian Humphreys' journey to self-sufficiency.  It makes a good read including the lessons learned from making mistakes along the way. I always find it motivating to read how others tackle problems and see photos of how they have done things in their backyard.

There's also a video library including lots of permaculture topics and how-to videos on practical stuff like keeping bees, planting food forests and fruit trees and building a tank garden. There are new videos added regularly so there's always something new to learn. 

Views: 190

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been enjoying receiving my monthly Green Journey for quite some time and have attended many of the free workshops and had a fantastic learning time with like minded people.

Great job Anne :) thank you.

Last night a number of the volunteers who work with Green Journey attended the 2011 Sunshine Coast Environment Council (SCEC) 'Froggies' Awards.  The Awards are presented annually by SCEC to promote environmental excellence and sustainability by recognizing the achievements of local community groups, businesses, government sectors and individuals on the Sunshine Coast.   

I’m thrilled to say WE WON!  The Green Journey team is honoured to be the recipients of the 2011 Sunshine Coast Environment Council 'Froggies' Award for the ‘Not-for-profit-Community’ Category!  

There were six categories at the Awards with each winner receiving a beautiful plaque with a sculptured frog species by talented sculptor, Lindsay Muir (known as the “Frog Man” for his charismatic lifelike frogs).  Each of the awards had a unique frog species, to represent the biodiversity of our environment.

I just wanted to share this news with Brisbane Local Food and take this opportunity to thank all our treasured Green Journey subscribers for their support and our amazing team of volunteers who work on this community project.  It's a very proud moment to be recognised for our achievements and we look forward to continuing on our journey and helping you on yours.

Well done to all of you :D Fantastic!! and well deserved.
Thanks Lissa!  It was a pleasant and unexpected surprise but wonderful for the volunteers to be recognized for all their efforts.
Good for you, Anne and friends! Lindsay Muir does the most exquisite wildlife sculptures. Would that I owned one! He generously donated one each year to the frog club of which I was a member for us to raffle. Needless to say the tickets sold very well.

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service