Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

I've created a small water feature from a largish tub left over from the drought time - this is mainly for the bees as a water source, with a Lebanese Cress and Kangkong put into it in their pots.

For all those with experience with such things, is this big enough to add some native fish (Pacific Blue eyes have been suggested) to keep the mosquito larvae down?

It's in a relatively shady spot with some sun during the AM.

If "yes" to the fish...where's the best place to get my hands on some? and how many should I add? and do I need to feed the poor wee things once they're in?

Views: 2839

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LOL. Nice work Jake.

I have at least four of the little fellas still alive.  I suppose eventually the Jade's will get them.  Happy to report, the tank went from a mosquito pit to completely insect free in less than a week.   

Pebbles added to the bottom to hold down plants kindly given by Scott and Alison.

Scott has loaned me his little fish trap :) Pity I'm heading to Bribie today - could have gone to the dam - maybe next weekend with my grandson.

That's the spirit.  Have fun with it. 

Keeping the fish healthy is all about providing them with plentiful oxygen, which will in turn maintain better water quality.. I set up something very similar last week with the Cress, Spinach and water chestnuts.. I'm toying with the idea of just a lone paradise fish. They love mosquito larvae, they possess a labyrinth organ which they use to breath from the surface, unlike fish gills. I ordered a cheap solar powered pump online to help with aeration although it would benefit moreso from constant circulation, not just daytime. Gambusia are invasive and illegal, a pest like the cane toad, I would definitely reccomend pacific blue eyes as they are native and frog friendly.. They will breed amongst plant roots or fine leaved submerged aquatic plants. White cloud minnows would also do the trick and like cold temps in winter.. but apparently harm frogs.

Equally, Beta (Siamese Fighters) would work well but they can be expensive.  Stay away from the males and get a few females (you don't need them to look very pretty and the girls live together quite well - they are also cheaper).  

You'll be okay with the day only pump.  Most pumps run 24/7 to remove ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.  The plants should do that for you.  I suspect what you bought was an aerator.  That'll do the trick fine but remember you need to clean the air stone every so often. 

The pump I bought is a fountain style power head with nozzle and three fitting options - bell shaped, shower and tripod.. I plan to zip tie a pre filter to try conserve the impeller.
I have over 40 betta inside the house, they most certainly would not survive past 16 degrees. Last year I had to heat them all, it was ludicrous. This year we are building a box-y style shelving unit for them all, with a heat cable running through styrofoam base on each shelf. Finally, we should be able to use the dining table and back kitchen benches again :)

That's amazing. I kept all of mine in little tanks and never heated a one!  Are you sure you're not spoiling those boys?

White cloud we have They seem indestructible got them from Bridgeman downs via gumtree you don't feed them.  They just survive on whatever is in the water.

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service