Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

I've created a small water feature from a largish tub left over from the drought time - this is mainly for the bees as a water source, with a Lebanese Cress and Kangkong put into it in their pots.

For all those with experience with such things, is this big enough to add some native fish (Pacific Blue eyes have been suggested) to keep the mosquito larvae down?

It's in a relatively shady spot with some sun during the AM.

If "yes" to the fish...where's the best place to get my hands on some? and how many should I add? and do I need to feed the poor wee things once they're in?

Views: 2889

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

These are the fish from my neighbour's pond. They look suspiciously like mosquitofish to me.

Totally. Check here.

HI Lissa, I have plenty of blue eyes or rainbowfish for a tub like that, quite happy to give you some young fish, I hope you didnt put gambusia or any other ferals in it,

To stop fish escaping when overflowing put a hole just below the top of your tub and stick mesh over it, so water goes through instead of over the top.

have a look here for ideas Petes Ponds

cheers

Your website is amazing Peter. You sure have gone into the native fish in a big way.

I didn't put any fish in the little pond in the end so your offer is much appreciated. I vaguely hoped nature would take it's own course and provide some insect predators like water bugs or predatory nymph.

I will need to get a neighbour to come over with a drill to put a hole near the top.

Where are you at for me to collect some fish? I'll message you so you can send an address privately.

Thanks Lissa , I do like my natives, Im in Kallangur, I have more baby fish appearing every day atm.

can you post a current pic of your pond and dimensions?

How are the plants planted ? in pots? loose? gravel? 

It's still looks much the same as the pic above Peter. Plants have been rearranged a bit is all. They're in pots of soil sitting on bricks. There's a bit of gravel at the bottom.

The tub is 80cm long, 60cm wide and 30cm deep.

That was a very kind offer to Lissa, Peter.  

I had a look at your site too.  Wow - the honey blue eyes and empire gudgeons are quite beautiful.  

I've been running down my tropical tank and was going to put some discus in.  However, the thought of helping protect some natives is very appealing.  If they are bred sucessfully, do you release them back into the wild?  

I used to breed Angels and Bettas, so I suspect I could probably pull it off. 

thanks Andrew, 

I never ever release fish back to the wild, this can cause more issues such as spread of disease and parasites, also domination of certain genes by releasing an unnatural amount of "related fish" and we know what happens with in-breeding. Its only ever been done legally with requests from dpi after major habitat destruction.

Anyway I do have a large amount of young noosa ornate rainbows that I would let go for a display tank if you want some

If you want to help, grow some in ponds and spread them around, education is the key, deter people from keeping non natives and keep natives instead, way better for the environment and frogs, you should hear my place at night

cheers

I bought the Pacific Blue eyes once, when I had a whole heap of frogs spawn in a puddle in the backyard. I scooped the tadpoles out, concreted a pond and set them up. Unfortunately, it rained really heavily and the pond overflowed and I lost them all. They were doing really well up until then....I was out at 11pm at night with a head torch, battling the mozzies trying to rescue as many fish and tadpoles as I could, alas....couldn't find the fish in the grass! Managed to rescue a heap of tadpoles though.

I think White Clouds are sold as native fish, but aren't. I believe they are the ones which were sold to me as native, so I returned them when I found out they weren't. I buy my fish/supplies from a shop on Rode Road. I did a lot of research at one time on the best pond fish to eat mozzies and not tadpole eggs/spawn. All came back to Pacific Blue eyes.

Although, if you are not worried about native aspects....scoop out the little fish in a watering hole or buy the feeder fish Andy suggested. I wouldn't be too embarrassed about doing it....my husband and I ended up at our previous local watering hole catching fish in Everton Hills - heaps were there.

Thanks for the info Wendy :) Goodness, will probably end up trying them all by the end. If something dies will just have to keep trying until I find something that can put up with the conditions.

I'm almost 60 and have vertigo - not good on uneven surfaces any more, so really don't fancy stumbling around muddy water hole banks trying to net small elusive fish without some companionship.

I could possibly line up a time to take Dion (my 3y/o) as a decoy and meet you somewhere, not this weekend though sorry.

That's a lovely offer Wendy - we might get Dion and my 3yr old grandson Clayton together one day. Joseph intends to come to the dam soon for another reason so we might do the deed then.

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service