Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

This is the most thorough and easy to follow information I've personally found re multi-planting fruit trees and then keeping them at the right height in a backyard.

BACKYARD ORCHARD CULTURE Dave Wilson Nursery

He is in America so the months referred to need to be changed for our climate.

You can choose a printable version of this information on the site also. Very good of him to share!

Views: 235

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for finding this Lissa :-)

Someone else found it....I re-found it ;)

It was actually very handy.  It told me to stop being afraid and just hack the buggers back. 

I was talking to someone about just that yesterday. I think we're so afraid sometimes that we're going to "do the wrong thing" that we do nothing. Better just to get in there and cut!

I watched a guy (on video) trimming his avo with a chainsaw. No delicacy there.

Fantastic information! Thank you Lissa.

Too late for us and our orchard as the trees are already fully grown.  Our newly planted citrus tho will be kept pruned for size as they fill a terraced area that requires walking space in between.

Some mature trees will take hard pruning though - guava, mango, custard apple, will grow back in time - but our stone fruit didn't like the necessary hard prune we gave it after that huge storm cell of a few years ago.  None but one have fruited since.

My trees planted years ago are also full size, nothing I can do. If we cut them back now they just grow back to the size they were.

While I would hate to leave my mature fruiting trees here (you wait so long for them to reach that point), there's a chance it may happen one day and I could start over again with a better idea of what I'm doing.

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service