Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Here is a Science fair project presented by a girl in a secondary school in Sussex . In it she took filtered water and divided it into two parts. The first part she heated to boiling in a pan on the stove, and the second part she heated to boiling in a microwave. Then after cooling she used the water to water two identical plants to see if there would be any difference in the growth between the plants

Found this on Facebook, not sure how to show it here but go to link & scroll down to bottom of page you will see 2 plantsin a pic- click on these to see the results.

Views: 162

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've seen this too, and people asserting that the email is a hoax. Just had a quick google and found several links stating that they tried to replicate the experiment and both plants were fine.

http://blogs.mcgill.ca/oss/2012/03/30/will-watering-plants-with-hea...

There are a few analyses of what microwaves do to food, and although it is different to convection cooking, it does not appear to be carcinogenic etc - in fact sometimes it's better (e.g. if cooking meat vs blackened meat)

I do believe in quarternary protein structures and their (unknown) microbiological effects - I anticipate that microwaving denatures these in ways different to convection cooking. I expect this will have a differential impact on health - but the main thing to be wary of seems to be:

a) what container you use

b) frequency of use/ ingestion

c) animal foods (e.g. milk) and fats

thanks for your thoughts Elaine, perhaps I didnt really think it through. have never owned a microwave so cant replecate the experiment.

Someone should try it :)

Like most of us, I have heard rumours that microwaved food is bad for us in various ways. No one so far that I have read - and I haven't really researched this topic - has been able to say why. One why that I ask, is: cooked water? We don't heat water for plants never mind boil it. So what is the point of this experiment?

I think the issue is more about what you use a microwave to cook in.  It can do some nasty things to plastics. 

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service