Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

This is something I am going to try as soon as we get side shoots from my old Pawpaw plant. I know of others who have done it, when they have had a very good tasting plant.  The advantage is a strong plant which can fruit fairly early. 

If you have a single stalk pawpaw and it is getting too high, you cut it off where the bark changes from brown to green, this is usually where the plant is less hollow.  Some like to put a jam can or similar to stop water or rain from rotting the centre. You should get shoots from the side soon after. 

Annoying music and no voice but a good example of how to do marcotting is here.   What have you got to loose.  Let us know if you have success.

Views: 40

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My grandfather used to do that!  I remember the fruit tin stuck on the stem.  He had another one on a big stick that he used to pick the pawpaws.  

I'm confused.

This is marcotting ... which seems  to be the same as air-layering.

I thought many people cut their pawpaws and shoved a jar on top of the cut. I use old coffee cups.

We have a lot of those...

The plants throws out side shoots and no water pools inside the 'trunk' -- but the big advantage is that the pawpaw doesn't get too tall so it is easy to harvest from it. I always slice diagonally as an extra protection.

Good thing is that you can cut at any time, say, after you harvest and regardless of the plant's age.

No doubt the advantage of marcotting pawpaw is that the new plant's gender and attributes are the same as the original. But why would you do it with pawpaw when they are so easy -- and so quick --to grow from seed? 

You can also change your male plants to effect fruit qualities or mix up the pawpaw and papaya you plant.

Sure they will have various qualities but that's the advantage of seed: you select what you keep from the new plants.

Regrettably, pawpaws (and mulberries) are the only fruits I've had long time growing  experience with.

I think both are so serviceable and almost magical. I wish my citrus was as easy to grow.

This is what I mean by cutting -- minus the lid.

Yes, Dave, what you say is right. Rob Walter asked for advice on air-layering as he had not had success. 

Sometimes people have an exceptional flavoured pawpaw which they would like to reproduce and move to another location. This is a method that can be used and with the advantage of having a larger tree quickly and with the same flavour fruit. Some people even leave some of the small fruit on it and just cut back some of the leaves and it does survive the process if done right. 

They use this method in asian countries.   My family had pawpaw trees that grew higher than a high-set house window. This just made it easier to open the window and harvest.  This pawpaw plant served the family for years as it had a brick wall behind it and this kept the area warm during winter.  It had wooden props to hold up the many branches laden with fruit. 

Not many people keep male plants, I don't know why.  We had one till it keeled over in the wet ground.   

I noticed myself that when we kept our old plant with a chopped off top, the secondary shoots did not give us large fruit, the same size as the original stalk.  We were happy with that as it then became a one person serving.  

Ian is experimenting with pawpaws and bananas in big bins and so far the pawpaws have been successful with fruit.  Our super dwarf bananas did fruit but only after we put them in the ground. They gave us a smaller banana on a short stalk. The stem grew to about 1/2 metre, it was interesting watching them grow and flower. 

It would be great to hear what others have done to grow and keep Pawpaw trees fruiting well and also the fertilizer or plant food that you give them.   I used to find heaps of old oyster shells around my mother-in-laws trees. 

Thanks Christa! The little bit of plastic in the stem cut in that video is genius! I will try that once my pawpaws start growing again.

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service