Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Make your own Fungi Happen:DIY Mycorrhizal Innoculate.

While researching mycorrhiza I came upon many exotic methods designed to grow the fungus and inoculate your garden with it.

The at home cannabis growers are obsessed with mycorrhiza.

Then this one popped out:LINK to download pdf file.

So easy. So logical. So inspiring.

It's like making sourdough bread -- but without have to bake.

I know this approach is followed in parts of Africa.

...and it features as host my fav allium which I grow in quantity:spring onions. Who would have thought?

This is a method of inoculating your plants with beneficial fungi. You can make your own from your own local soil. The soil that you make will be rich in beneficial fungi. This will be the ‘inoculum’. It takes about an hour or less to set up and is very simple to maintain.

Contents:

Introduction
- What are mycorrhiza?

- How do you know if a particular plant species can be a host to this type of fungus?

- Results that you can expect Method for making a mycorrhizal inoculum - Collecting your ‘Starter Soil’
- Multiplying the mycorrhiza

- Maintaining your trap-pots or trough - Three months later...
- Using the inoculum

Things to consider when setting up a trial - Inoculating

- Setting up a trial

- Designing the trial How to record progress

Views: 464

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Of interest is the host comboes: grassy species (eg maize, millet, sorghum, oats, wheat) or an allium (onion, leek), with a species of legume (beans, peas, lentils, alfalfa, clover).

But more broadly I note that aloe vera sponsors a particular species of  mycorrhiza and that vetiver grass is a keen  mycorrhiza parent. So the options are there to transpose your gardening approach in another direction.

Rather exciting...and I think less confusing that some of the usual inoculant approaches.

En route I came upon this delightful commentary vid: The Perfect Soil - Forget about compost piles!which seriously reminds us that sometimes we can't see the wood for the trees. After all, x million of Indian farmers can't be wrong.

And besides, the fun of flinging cow dung at a wall seems a great hobby!

Great idea, I just need a cow the size of a medium dog

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service