Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Locally grown? Melbourne at 7 million: losing farmland due to urban sprawl

The loss of the Redlands and Logan food bowls should not be repeated here in SEQ. Farming land on the Sunshine Coast/Glass House Mtns and the Lockyer Valley stretch from Ipswich is under threat .  The Lockyer Valley is one of the most important food bowl areas in Australia, supplying the majority of Australia’s vegetable requirements during the winter months and typically accounts for 25 per cent of Queensland’s total horticultural production. The Gold Coast now treacles over the NSW border. 

I cannot see any reason why the burbs cannot coexist with farmland. The acreages need to be protected as natural heritage from developers and farmers must be offered discounted land rates by councils. Like national parks, land that is zoned for agricultural production should be kept that way as part of pervasive regional plans...

Brisbane historical advantage has been the high hills in the inner urban area, and a preference to 'develop' the  mangrove and sandy fringes of Moreton Bay.But even there many market gardens have been swallowed up in each suburb and the carpeting of the rich soil of Redlands with real estate these last 25 years was a crime against food.

Foodprint Melbourne project has released its first infographic on Melbourne’s foodbowl, highlighting the potential threat to supplies of fresh, locally grown fruit and vegetables as Melbourne grows to 7 million people by 2050. For more information about the infographic click here.

Views: 221

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I recall when I first moved here in 1963 that there was at least 1 cannery in the Redlands. As indeed there was one in Ballina when my parents first moved there. A crime against food - indeed yes. That fabulous red soil sprouting grass. Ugh.

In Redlands any poor quality land that was not suitable for farming was protected  for conservation  and the farmland was developed for housing  the koalas would have a  better chance by planting forests on reclaimed farmland  and building on conservation land.

The Agricultural Land Reserve system they have in Vancouver is fabulous: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agricultural_Land_Reserve_(British_Co... . However, the fact is that these sorts of restrictions mean increased land prices and greater urban density as they reduce the total land stock available for development. As an inner-city greenie and a general opponent of private transport, I think greater urban density is fantastic, but it's pretty much anathema to the major parties.

Pretty much anathema to a lot of us, too Rob! We older folks are not as adept at slinging a leg over a bike as we once were. The car is our means of independence once we are on the downward slope towards the grave. As with most things, there is no 'one size fits all' solution. Public transport infrastructure and subsidies is definitely something we vote for even if it's more theory for us than practice.

Since fam members were Koo Wee Rup locals and were backbones of  the local potato  fest , I keenly relate to the POV.

The scams in the rezoning game is explored here from local research. The advantage in marginalising the value of  farmland  in order to cheapen its price, gets played out within a broader level of corruption and opportunism.

The bottom line, Frijters and Murray concluded, was that well-connected developers were able to buy up urban fringe holdings, use their influence to ensure these were included within the rezoning areas at the exclusion of neighbouring lots, and reap massive gains in the value of their properties. Such influence stemmed from developers themselves being well-connected, the employment of professional lobbyists or simply the employment in a non-lobbying capacity of ex-politicians or bureaucrats.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service