Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

I have 2 issues with KimChi.

1. While I love chili I'm not fond of Gochujang-- Korean chili paste with which kimchi is made
  2. The large cuts of the Napa gabbage used to ferment are not always useful in many occasions I want to eat KimChi.

The other problem is that KimChi -- like sauerkruat -- tends to be menu/cuisine specific. A very either/or thing.

So I decided that what I wanted was a cabbage ferment -- with chili -- that was half way between KimChi and sauerkraut such that it offered greater utility and suited my taste preference.

And I think I've found the recipe:

INGREDIENTS

1 head napa cabbage, chopped

3 carrots, shredded
1 large daikon radish, shredded

1 large onion, chopped

1⁄4 cup shredded sea weed/vegetable

1 tablespoon chili pepper flakes

1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger

1 tablespoon sesame seeds

1 tablespoon granulated sugar

2 teaspoons unrefined sea salt

1 teaspoon fish sauce

METHOD

1. Mix all the ingredients together and let sit for at least 30 minutes.

2. Pound into two 2-quart jars, and cap loosely or top with a water-filled ziplock bag to seal out oxygen. Set aside to ferment, at room temperature, for at least 3 days. Taste for the degree of sourness you want, then refrigerate.(RECIPE SOURCE)

Compared to traditional KimChi methods this is a very easy DIY. Let's see what the ferment brings forth unto my welcoming mouth.

Views: 121

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So many Kim Chi's! So little time ;-) Some have been to my taste, some not. Like 'Grandma's authentic recipe' there's a lot of 'authentic recipes' out there and they are all different. Experimenting to find something which is intestinally pleasing seems a good way to go.

I had a fermenting day as I wasn't up to much else.

I made up the above KimChi and tackled the chopping and salting of my collection of chilies for an everyday paste.I collect them -- both those I grow and those I buy, then freeze them. I always make up the paste  too late in the day when the past chili paste is dangerously reduced. This is a 3 week ferment before refrigeration & consumption.So I tripped up.

To finish off, I pickled some cucumber slices with onion.

While I relate to the customized  taste issue -- the real problem with ferments is not having so many that you run out of fridge space.

For instance, I used some preserved lemon in a tagine tonight and I hadn't opened that jar for at least 8 months.

I've just super sized my Filmjölk production to 3 litre containers of milk in order to keep ourselves supplied for everyday consumption -- and what with the preserved mustard, pepper paste, turmeric and sundries in there, it's getting crowded.

This time around I do have a plan rather than simply archive ferments -- like a museum.  I know what I'll eat them with.

In the meantime I'm trying to revive my sourdough starter as I'm waiting on a supply of rye grain and flour as well as sunflower kernels so I can tackle my version of the 'pumpernickel' challenge.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2019   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service