Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Hi everyone, I have something i would like to share with the group. Would there be enough people interest in starting up another group on the site with a bit of a difference? this one is based on support and information regarding the activity of juice and juicing for Health.

I need to make addittional changes this year to my  life and are reintroducing more real vegetable and fruit juices to my diet. I need to loose that Christmas festive Spirit and make up for last years poor health. I am one of many people who must work hard on remaining healthy and happy. I am determined to refine my diet further and to encorporate some changes to my food production and consumption at home to accommodate more Juice and Juicing.

If enough people are interested can I propose that another group be added to the site. Maybe someone can come up with a catchy name?

Discussions could be about recipies ,fruit,vegetables,  food growing for juice. Your experiances with juice as part of or as a cleansing diet ? herb and medicinal juice .  Books media, links, and the like. What juicer you use. Do you prefer vege or fruit juice..  do you grow your juice plants  how do you grow and harvest these plants? Where do your buy your fruit and vege locally to make Juice cheap. Is anyone growing  Kale locally?  weeds  berrieis and bushtucker in juice?

I am nearly 100 KGs at the moment and i need to loose 15 to 20 Kg and have started to incorporate juice into breakfast and lunch. I make and consume  750 ml of real fruit juice for breakfast and then have my 750 ml of real vege juice at lunch. I then  have a normal meal at night .. So we can discuss our ambitions methods and progress hereas well . I know that I am going to need as much help as I can get in the world of juice.

regards Mark Thomson

Views: 1002

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

cool - I love juice. I'm juicerless at the moment though - I gave my old one to the salvos when we left Brisbane - am still hoping a new one will materialise at some stage ;) 

Have you read 'Fit for Life' by Harvey and Marilyn Diamond? they are very big on morning and lunch juice and salad as you describe above - helped me (with lots of walking and bike riding) to lose about 20kg when i was 19, whilst eating as much as i wanted of anything, and i felt fantastic. They talk about the health benefits too.

I'm doing at least 15 mins per day on an exercise bike now - seems to be having a really good effect on weight, tone and cardio (not surprising really ;)  wish i had an elliptical walker instead, but the exercise bike is very good and was only $160 from Aldi (I have to have music or a screen playing though - too boring otherwise)

The Diamonds are big fans of Soy and so was I for several years. Read a lot of conflicting comments so avoid it altogether. Apart from that juicing is something I've always loved, there's nothing quite like fresh fruit/vege juice in large quantities! That elliptical walker thing - we both thought it might be an answer for us until we tried one! Ye godz, it's tough to use for we old, short-assed chooks - being taller and younger you may not find it a struggle. Just as well we tried one in the shop first.

Hi , elaine and Scarlett , My  eliptical walker looks like a home for lost spiders at the moment. covered in dust and cobwebs ... I will have to get it out this weekend and give it a clean ...

they are bit  Bizarre to use until you get the hang of it .... but good ....

A search online shows the LexSun cold press juicer to be worth about $500 and the Vitamix $1000.

My Breville Juice Fountain cost me about $80. Not in the same quality category as the other two, but affordable.

The LexSuns must have gone up quite a bit, I didn't pay anything like $500! Anyway, my LexSun is a blender for making smoothies using the whole fruit/vege; I didn't know they made a juicer. The Oscar I bought from Vitality4Life and it's a low-speed single-gear juicer. Both were in the $200-300 range, way cheaper than a Green Power which 15 years ago was $1000. We had a juice fountain too, it's not as efficient a juicer as the geared ones (it's an Archimedian screw not a real gear) but the upside is the pulp makes very decent patties where the pulp from the Oscar is almost tasteless.

What do you do with the patties Elaine?

I'm really enjoying my jug of home made juice each day and feel it is doing me good. I end up with a lot of pulp that I can put into the garden, so nothing wasted.

Never wasted! When I had worms imprisoned in a 'worm farm' they loved the pulp. Patties? Why you eat them! ;-) Think of vegetable rissoles and you get the picture.

Our juicer must be about 12 years old by now, a Panasonic Juice Extactor.  It does a pretty good job. We havent tried to do much with the pulp, but i might start mixing a couple of spoons into the juice before i drink it.

But the chooks have been going mad for the pulp, they are waiting for it every morning! The really exciting this is our egg production has gone up too, so its good to see we can all benefit from it.

We've started adding a couple of comfrey leaves in each morning now, nothing you can taste, and not enough to even colour the juice like the spinach does, but it all adds up i guess!

You've just broadend my vege mental horizons again Elaine lol. Vege patties are thinking out of the usual square.

Wish I could claim authorship! Read about it on the blurb which came with a high-speed juicer I borrowed.

Just opened an email for a "slow juicer" Avancer Black Label Slow Juicer for $199. And the same thing on You Tube

That is a serious bit of kit Lissa ... if I didn't already have an Oscar, I'd be out tomorrow buying one of those! Very impressed with the design, quite a departure from the current types available. May not make nut butters/purees but that would be the least of my worries if I were looking for a juicer. Love the music, wish I could remember the name of it!

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service