Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

I've noticed an unpleasant overripe smell emanating from this bagged bunch for a few weeks. I mentioned it to Lissa thinking that maybe it was just trapped ethylene gas. Turned out one of the hands had been ripening/rotting for a while. Looks rather disgusting :)

The other hands are still green with noticeable ridges - which is why I didn't think to harvest them until "emergency surgery" was performed this afternoon.

The hands also released a lot of sap when I was separating them from the stalk. 

Do they look ok? And is this normal for ducasse?

I've harvested 3 bunches of ducasses to date. The first lot were perfect, only because the tree collapsed so we had to take the bunch. The 2nd lot was left on the tree for too long (by then I had lashed the tree to the fence post), they had started yellowing and the bats found them. Now this lot's mostly green with the exception of a single really rotting set of fruit.

Who said gardening isn't full of surprises? lol

Views: 735

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Goodness. Not good. I've only harvested two bunches from my Ducasse myself so probably less experienced than yourself Joseph, but never had anything like this.

Could it be the bag? Too much heat trapped in there or something? You use it to keep out...bats? Is it necessary is my point.

Are there any bugs etc to be seen in those rotten bananas?

Never used bags Joseph … Lissa's theory on heat sounds quite possible. The green ones look perfect - sap, oh you bet, Bananas and sap go together. The fruit we buy has been washed on that account.

The stems are much given to collapse despite their circumference. There's a tripod design of bunch-prop on the net which looks practical; made from pvc drainpipe or anything else to hand. A pic of it should be on BLF. It's a must with the dwarf Ducasse.

To garden is to learn ;-)

I've been watching my Ducasse for stem collapse and it just isn't happening with mine Elaine. As you say, very wide circumference - they seem to be holding up just fine. I would expect them too anyway as the bunches are smaller than the ones I got on my Dwf Cav.

Mine looked immoveable too until one day - whoompf over it went bunch and all. Usual bunches on Ducasse are around 40 kgs I read - too heavy to weigh for me - and you'd think that was not too heavy for a stem of that circumference. I can only hope that yours stays upright, none of mine did which is a major reason I've stopped growing Bananas. It would have been good for the growers to have alerted their customers to the need for a stem support for the bunch the whole disaster could have been mitigated at least if not averted.

Thanks for your responses, Elaine and Lissa. The purpose of those bags are twofold: reduces time to ripening and provides *very* rudimentary protection from bats. I have another bunch of ducasse (this bunch could weigh 30kg or more) which I've left unbagged.

I'm not sure why the rot was limited to one hand only. It was neither the hand at the top or bottom of the bunch.

There were plenty of tiny little maggots and little flies in and around the rotted fruit, but they are unlikely the culprits. As you say, it was probably caused by uneven heat.

The ducasse tends to collapse around mid-stem. Yep the base is wide, which makes chopping it down quite a task. I found out yesterday that these originated a number of years ago from dwarf stock. They've since reverted. Each new sucker has grown taller than its predecessor. However they are still a good deal shorter than the "dwarf" ladyfinger :)

I know it is pure speculation, but the current habit of makings lots of little plants by tissue culture could be a cause of plants not being as sturdy or hardy as you'd like. I read somewhere that tissue culture and the chemicals used in the system, give rise to many more mutations than are normal. Joseph your dwarf Ducasse did something mine did not - got taller each stem. But mine collapsed each time. And much as I love my homegrown Bananas, the hassle and physical effort is much greater than the rewards.

Interesting thought.

Mine are all staying the same/right height. And out of three bunches none have caused the plant to buckle in the middle (knock on wood). Maybe I just got a goodie! (knocking madly on wood).

I've only harvest two batch of bananas, and don't even know what variety they're, just some kind of dwarf.  I didn't bag them, and they ripen nicely after harvesting them when one hand starts yellowing... interestingly, they seem to start yellowing neither from the top or bottom, but somewhere in the middle?

Just out of interest, what material is your bag made from?

It's the commercial plastic cover used by growers, open at both ends. One side is white, the other is green (or blue in others). Mine are ripening ok now. Yep the rotting hand was somewhere in the middle. I have another bunch that I haven't bagged, only because it's too high to reach. I think I'll stop growing ducasse in the backyard, will remove all the pups and leave the few that are already tall enough to fruit. As Elaine said, it is a lot of work and we don't really eat a lot of bananas normally.

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service