Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

As photo attached Weed identification help please north Brisbane.

It's spreading and out competing buffalo grass. The weed can get up to a meter tall seems to have shallow roots and creeps to some extent. Have some growing near a plumbago and when full grown has a similar appearance but obviously not that. Where it's growing near buffalo Yates weed and feed didn't touch it although other weeds turned black.

It starts of low and creeps/spreads quick but once it gets a hold starts to increase in height.

Thanks for any info

Ann

Views: 639

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Did you check out the Herbarium site Ann (link above)? Gives all the details for identifying plants.

Hi Lissa,
I've emailed them will let you know if I get an answer.
Cheers
Ann
Yes waiting for reply off them, thanks

Thank you that info, Lissa. Would be a good link to put on the Weeds pages here on BLF.

Credit where credit is due - thank Jeff. It was his suggestion I just added a link.

Good idea to add the site to the Edible Weeds. Will do that now.

Ann - this is a LINK to many plant identification tools.

I thought it could be catharanthus roseus (Madagascar periwinkle) however I would expect you would have mentioned the pink flowers if it was. I have a plant growing in a jar of water on the windowsill and it seems to be indestructible.

As you have it growing in a buffalo lawn you could try and spray with metsulfuron methyl which is quite a (human) safe selective herbicide that should not damage your turf (I'd suggest a small test area first). This is available in small packs for around $30. You should use a non ionic surfactant with it (eg Nufarm Pulse).

Good luck!

Thank you for the suggestion but it's not that as I do have that and it's reasonable controllable and more bush like. This thing spreads quickly sideways but is not woody and plumbago is the nearest I could say too it when it gets mature and leggy but it's not like that when young.
Attachments:
Hi All,

I've had a reply from Queensland Herbarium

Your weed appears to be 'Dyschoriste depressa'. It is an invasive species from India, and it has small mauve flowers and pointed pods that split when ripe, expelling the seeds up to a metre from the parent plant.

Biodiversity Information and Advisory Services
Email: advisory.services@dsiti.qld.gov.au
http://www.qld.gov.au/environment/plants-animals/herbarium/

Looked it up on google images and sure looks like it.

Thanks everyone for the help

Ann

Good research Ann, well done.

I had thought for a bit that it was the ground cover weed growing in my backyard but the flowers are completely different.

DYSCHORISTE DEPRESSA

Definitely 'Depressa' sounds hard to kill and I have it in buffalo and flower beds and you can't use the favoured weed killers on buffalo that I've found so far.
Certainly looks like one that we are going to have to quickly remove when spotted, it appears to be spreading quickly.
Thanks for bringing it to our attention Ann and following through for the positive ID.

How is it recommended that you best get rid of it? Can you pull it out religiously and black bag it? Does it come up again from any roots left behind?

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

VETIVER COMMUNITY PROJECT

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

The Vetiver Community Project is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service