Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

This website is the story of a youngish couple with talents and creativity, turning their rental 1 bedroom apartment in NEW FARM into an amazing food growing factory and sustainablility hub while  living very frugally. They have open days.

It is very inspiring. And the cheapest wicking beds around

Well done Roman and Jana

Views: 512

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you for the link Gabrielle … I've heard of these inventive folks from BOG but not in great details so I'm keen to see their blog.

Fascinating! I wonder at the generosity of their landlord and the co-operation of the other tennants. They have started a trend I hope will be continued throughout Brisbane and surrounds. There are many rental houses in my area (our noisiest ever nextdoor neighbours are in a rental) but none look as though they cultivate anything except dust and empties.

Roman and Jana are good with people.

We are doing a fair bit in a rental. Have just bought a solar freezer off grid, with its own panel. We have solar hot water that runs through the normal system without using the energy because the sun heats it. It cut our electricity bill by 1/3. We have installed tanks that we will take with us. If we plant trees it is in half cut through 1000 l tanks (turned wicking-bed) on a pallet so that a forklift will be able to move them. Not sure how to do the spa turned wicking-bed: very effective but a tat heavy.

But Roman is in a league of his own, much more impressive and frugal.

Sounds like a great Garden visit for March ;-) I am booking.

Rowan's absolutely!!! Mine, give me 3 months for some finishing touches :)

Call him, he love talking about it

Don't forget to share these events on BLF by creating an Event listing.  Let as many people know about them as possible.

Maybe we should involve Roman in the discussion before setting a date? LOL :)

Inspirational! 

We need to adopt them. 

Tel: 0434 824 870
Call them!

Bit hard for me to make personal calls through the work week, I've emailed. They have at least two presentations listed - I've put both in our Events listing.

ah now I get what you meant! thanks, 

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service