Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Interested to make a post about how we are all faring with this rain.

I think it will get more interesting tomorrow!

Views: 140

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So - my front garden with the Hugel and swales is going great.  I am amazed at how good they work.  No washed away mulch, water pooling and then soaking in.  (So far).

Aquaponics is slowly re-filling.  I don't have an automatic run off system for the tank, so I'll need to keep an eye on it. If it gets too full, I just pull one pipe off and let it flow into one of the original raised dry-ish gardens. 

Back lawn is a problem.  It's surrounded by walls so acts like a pool.  It is fairly well drained with ag pipe into the storm water.  However, it's already starting to show signs of pooling.  

The rain water tanks have overflowed.  The pond in the Japanese garden is fuller than I have ever seen it.  Bird bath is overflowing. 

I think by tomorrow night, we are all going to find life interesting. 

In the last couple of days we've had 25mm (1 inch) then this afternoon the internal column on the rain gauge overflowed and is now part-way up the outer column. So something more than an inch and by Friday morning I expect 2 inches but will measure rather than stand at the back door and guess.

Reading that fantastic worm book Dave suggested, good pasture should be springy. If it's not there is not enough organic matter and therefore worms and microbes. The back yard gets a bit compacted with walking but suffers from lack of organic matter so the soft rain still pools rather than soaking in. The back is level while the front is on a slope anyway so the front never pools, organic matter or not.

Precisely.  It all slopes down above the ag pipe (like a big V).  I might need to punch some holes in the dirt there.  My guess is that the sleeve on the ag. pipe has gotten a bit clogged with dirt. 

2 yrs ago I used to have a big problem with heavy down pour. as my back yard is flat, the water used to pool up, run through the patio and into the laundry/ garage.

since I have been free ranging the chickens 24/7 (before they just come out on weekends) I have notice no pooling water no matter the down pour. all the water soaks straight in.  Getting back to what you are saying Elaine, with enough organic mater in the ground ie, chickens crapping all over it every day, I no long have a problem with too much rain.   

Fascinating isn't it, how a fairly slight adjustment to organic matter makes a great deal of difference? I wouldn't have realised that but for reading the worm book I'm right into now.

We've had 92mm (3¾ inches) in the last 48 hours. If it keeps up, and we get about 6 inches I figure the water table will be close to being fully recharged. That's my dream anyway ;-)

Frogs were busy calling last night. Bit late in the season. We were entertained with the Big Greens croaks and the Gracefulls groaning moans. There's 5 species which have bred here and strangely the common and enthusiastic Striped Marsh were silent. At the height of summer storms with all 5 species taking it in turns throughout the night, it can be wonderfully almost-deafening.

110 mm.

With the only pooling left this morning on sections  of asphalt.

Sand does that. It's a sieve.

Nonetheless, the garden is alive +++. I never get that. I could water it , drench it with a hose over and over again but can never replicate a good bit of rain like this.

Already the fungi are fruiting. And that's always a thrill...and a marker of moisture content soaked in. We get so many different types that suddenly decide to show their spore presence. The last 12 months and more, being so dry, the activity has been dormant. But now....Can't wait for the surprises!

A delightful fungal patch  I photographed here in 2012

I suspect I get this because I'm mulch mad..

We have the usual moat at the front door. Hubby is jumping up and down for immersion pump. The grass is looking great. Trying to collect water in buckets for wicking bed but gave up trying to keep up aha.

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2021   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service